Fomapan 400 4X5

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Bill Banks, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Bill Banks

Bill Banks Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am persevering with a box of Fomapan 400 without much success. All my negatives (taken with an old 127mm Ektar and tray developed) seem to lack contrast in D76 1:1 even though I've extended development times well beyond what I've found on the web.

I'm now going to try it at ISO 200, extend times even further and see what happens. I also have Ilfosol 3 and Rodinal in stock which I could try.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Bill

2. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use D-76 straight for 8x10 with success. I expose at ISO 200 and develop for 15% longer than the recommended time. In the event of exposures 1 second or longer, I use Foma's reciprocity table and give the recommended generous additional exposure. In that case, I back development time back to Foma's recommended time for normal exposure.

Mike

3. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Under expose and push...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wouldn't that tend to lower contrast rather than raise it?

I can't speak to the specific developers you have in hand, but I didn't find Fomapan 400 to have contrast problems in PC-TEA or HC-110, both of which are reasonably "normal" developers.

Can you be more specific than "seem to lack contrast"? Are the highlights not dense enough, are the shadows too dense, do you want a steeper curve in the midtones, or is it more of a general "not enough pop" visual impression?

-NT

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I routinly rate my Foma films at half posted box speed and develope normally. I also use either Pyrocat-HD ot PMK Pyro for developing. I like the look of the Foma films and use them regularly.

6. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use Foma films as my standard films, I rate the 400, which is my main film, at 320, and develop normally in (8 mins) in D76 stock, or I develop for 18 minutes in Rodinal 1/50 and get lovely negatives
    Richard

7. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looking at the Foma data sheet it seems to me that 400 is closest to 320 at best, I shoot at 200 and develop in D76 1:1.

8. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    print with graded filters?