Fomapan R-100

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by titrisol, Nov 10, 2004.

1. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,
    I was browsing JandC catalog and I saw this film.
    I'm interested in it, so I have a few questions to the people who have used it:
    - Does it have a clear or gray base?
    - Can it be used as a negative film? If so, what ISO would be recommended

Thanks

2. jandc

jandc Member

The base is clear but it is a reversal only film. It needs to be bleached to clear it.

3. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ok, I'll go with Efke 100 and 25 then
    Thnaks

4. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    was just out of curiosity.... i was looking for a clear based film such as MACO

PS I found a thread @photo.net about this film

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2004
  5. baronfoxx

baronfoxx Member

fomapan r100

can anyone help with info on this film, who makes it and can it be obtained in the UK
    I would like to try it, thanks

6. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    '...can it be obtained in the UK...'

Retro sell it. There's more info on their site.

Best,
    Helen

7. rjr

rjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    DW,

just like John said, it can´t be processed as negative film - it has a AHU mask of colloid silver under the emulsion which is only removed in the bleach bath of a reversal process. I tried a clip test out of curiosity when I preprared the article on how to deal with the Foma kit.

If you don´t believe me, take a snip and throw it in fix, it won´t clear, it will look like a unprocesses E6 film (they actually use the same AHU approach).

The base is a clear polyester base, the filmspeed in their original kit is close to 100-125ASA and the film has a very wide exposure latitude - it is very forgiving on exposure and in the first development. Quite nice for beginners.

Baronfoxx,

Foma in the Czech Republic is the maker.

Helen,

Retro has started a cooperation with Fotoimpex just recently...

8. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    dr5 wrote:
    'There are many ways to deal with this type of backing.'

Could there be two completely different versions of R-100? The anti-halation layer in the R-100 I've used was definitely not a backing - it was an interlayer between the emulsion and the base. It behaves very differently from the carbon rem-jet AH backing I'm used to, for example. It's less dense, apart from other physical properties - it doesn't look as much like an AH layer. I've never developed R-100 to a neg though. (Rem-jet, or the Fuji equivalent, is used on all current colour neg motion picture film as far as I know, and Kodachrome - though I've never processed Kodachrome!)

Puzzled,
    Helen

9. rjr

rjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Helen,

I did not forget the article, just couldn´t spare the time to translate it. Will do, within this year. ;-)

>Could there be two completely different versions of R-100?

Not that I know of. And it wouldn´t make much sense... I believe the Fomapan R100 in our use is a side product of movie film production as the slide market is too small to justify it´s existence and the S8/D8-film lacks a decent marketing.

> The anti-halation layer in the R-100 I've used was definitely not a backing > - it was an interlayer between the emulsion and the base.

A layer of colloidal silver with a brownish cast, yep. One approach to AHU, just like Junge/Huebner list in their book "Fotografische Chemie". The others are

- greybase
    - backing of carbon/resin
    - backing of pigments/resin

> I've never developed R-100 to a neg though.

I did, out of curiosity. Only a sniplet, but I ended up with a negative on a brown and opaque backing. Imagine an unprocessed E6 film with a bw negative on it´s front.

I see no way of getting rid of it -without loosing the image- but a bleach and fix (or blix).

>Puzzled,
    >Helen