Fomapan R100 not developed as reversal

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by IloveTLRs, Jun 17, 2013.

1. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Hello everyone,

I have a question, if I may trouble everyone. I have a chance to get a large bulk roll of Fomapan R100, which is reversal black and white. Long story short, I would be developing it in ID-11, not as reversal.

I did a lot of digging and reading around the internet (what little info there is) and have seen mixed results on this. It seems 50-50: some people say forget it (anti halation won't come off), and others say it's possible - with D19 or even Rodinal, but dense negatives.

Does anyone here have experience with it? Would you say forget it and go with a regular B&W film?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

2. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    it should work fine. Try exposing at 100 and giving very very little development compared to the reversal development specs. Use a "regular strength" developer for a normal amount of time. Even at that, they may look overexposed, if so, you just rate it at 200 or 400...best to shoot a roll at 100, 200, 400 and develop and see what you get. all too dark? lower the development time. Stay away from the powerful high contrast developers used for reversal.

3. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The R100 can't be developed as a negative. It has a very stubborn rem-jet black layer that will not dissolve in a common film developer.

4. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Right--that silver layer--right. I thought there was a normal remjet backing but now I see that it's not a backing that can be removed, but a layer of silver that can only be removed in the bleaching step. Yes, that will effectively "blacken" anything until it's bleached so any negative image will not be visible.

5. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks for the replies.

Is the remjet layer anything like the one on Kodachrome 64?

6. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Data Sheets - R100 - http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/F_pan_R_en.pdf
    K64 - http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/pdf/e88.pdf

The anti-halation layer in R100 is between emulsion and base, and is removed by the process chemicals. The Kodachrome layer was on the back of the film and (IIRC?) was physically removed in the processing machine. (All googleable if you need more info. :smile: )

7. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks again!

I remember removing KR64's remjet layer with a sponge. I was hoping I could do the same with R100 but it seems impossible. Too bad.

8. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is supposed to be a silver layer which will be removed by the bleach in the reversal process. One data sheet indicated that it COULD be developed as a neg, so their may be two versions out there.

9. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Interesting. I originally found Freestyle's entry on it here: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/411813-Foma-Fomapan-R100-Bandamp-W-Reversal-Film-35mm-x-36-exp.

Where they say:
    Note that I wasn't ordering from Freestyle, so I don't want to point the finger at anyone. With some further Googling I found a few forum posts around the web where people said it could be done. Hence my confusion, and I suppose it is possible there are different versions. In the end I decided to cancel my order and go with a "regular" black and white film.

Edit: Here is a thread on photo.net discussing it: http://photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/00Szgi

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  10. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thinking about it, IIRC, there some postings last year that Foma had issues with supply of film base, or similar, which led to some products being revised or reformulated? Maybe there is more than one version....I haven't time right now, but will try to check it out later. (I've used R100 as a reversal film, with good results, so am interested in this).