Fomapan R100 redated expired film?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Alessandro Serrao, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From dr5.com:

"FILM UPDATE - JUNE~SEPT 2012 : We have gotten no notice from either 'foma the company or the US-importer' of this film. EM#-017676-01 HAS NOT been recalled. We have recently been getting in EM#-015676-02 with an Exp date of 2011-06. The same EM# has been coming in with an Exp-date of 2013-07. This is "REDATED" expired film. The factory is surley aware of this, I am sure the importer is as well. "

Actually I have the batch 015676/02 exp date 2012-11.
    If this is true, Foma can be sued...
    Anyone can confirm this?

2. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In the USA most companies have replaced an "expiration date" with a "best by" date. There is really no magic date that any product goes bad on. The maker of any product has to guess at the date when it will or will not meet their arbitrary set quality standards. Perhaps the newly formulated film lasts much longer than the old film. Don't sue them just buy the film. If it works for you buy more. If it has too much fog and lack of contrast spend more and buy Kodak, Ilford or Fuji film.

3. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Great idea Alessandro, lets sue Foma, so it can loose so much money that it has to close it's doors!
    What about part of master roll being frozen until later delivery date??

4. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Freezing slows down but doesn't halt the aging process...
    Here we are talking at least 5 years span...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  5. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    In our home freezers most likely not but I'm not sure about industrial scale freezing operations? I heard stories about Kodak doing it for years. Not sure what are Foma's freezing capabilities.
    Also light sensitive materials now is not very lucrative business, they have to squeeze out as much as they can from existing inventory.
    You can always sue them or switch to other film supplier, there are still few left!

6. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The expiry date, I am 99% sure, was created just to insure film producers somekind of a turnaround. Imagine films not having an expiry date: The companies would go bankrupt in no time.

I've used Iso 100 BW film that was expired fo r15 years with absolutely no change. My 20x24 prints are beautiful.

7. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Slow films do last a very long time past expiry, but I've found the dates on high speed films like Tmax 3200 and Delta 3200 should be religiously observed. I've used Tri-X that was a few yrs outdated and it was pretty awful.

8. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For the moment being I've sent an email to Foma asking for explanation.
    I'll report asap.

9. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    People love to kill film companies.

There must be a real desire to put Foma out of business. I remember the 120 backing paper threads from a couple of years ago.

Personally I love Foma films and papers and hope they remain in business for a long time. It's sad we have recently lost Fotokemika. And Ferrania not long before that.

10. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Film companies kill themselves. All of them. Kodak, Efke, Agfa.
    The customer cannot do anything except buying their products; the customer as a consumer should be free to decide to spend his/her money on something else just because the company acted in a certain way or doesn't care for him... It's called freedom of choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  11. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Some people seem determined to make other people's choices for them.

You threaten to sue Foma. Isn't it easier for you to just make your choice to not buy their film?

In the end, your suit would fail because you are not qualified to determine the expiration or best-used-by date for this film. Each producer is free to make those determinations.

I will order 10 rolls of Foma today to display my support.

12. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't Kodak do this for almost a decade with Tech Pan, and for 4 years with Kodachrome?

I don't think that this is all that uncommon, especially with low-volume stock.

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMHO it only really matters if the "expiry" date is later than it should be - i.e. the film will have lost quality before it reaches that date.

14. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My issue with Foma has nothing to do with expiration dates, its the soft emulsion. But I am working on a way around that issue. Personally I love the look of their film, the best way for me to describe it is "rich", it seems to have a really wide tonal range. I intend to buy more very soon, once my DIY drying cabinet is done.

15. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm confused. Where did Alessandro advocate suing Foma? I noticed he said they can be sued, but that doesn't even constitute a hint that he has any inclination to do so. Nor is he suggesting anyone else do so. Am I missing something?

16. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's right up to the last word.
    I don't want to sue Foma and I will continue to use their products until they either stop producing them or they mess around with them up to the point of being unusable.
    So far I've had not a problem with Foma films or paper.