Fomatone

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by Robert, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Robert

Robert Member

I glanced at the data sheet. It looks slower then Azo at all contrast levels higher then 1. Is it really possible to use it with an enlarger?

2. Robert

Robert Member

3. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So what's the bottom line? Is it an enlarging paper (fast) or contact paper (slow)? I am sooooooo confused!

4. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

Contact printing papers are silver chloride papers. Chlorobromide papers are enlarging papers. Some enlarging papers are just bromide papers, but most are chlorobromide. The paper under discussion is an enlarging paper. The beautiful thing about silver chloride papers is not the slowness, but the gradation of tones. Chlorobromide papers have more toe and more shoulder; they are not straight line papers are chloride papres (contact printing papers) are.

Sure, speeds will be long with dense filters. That has nothing to do with a paper being a contact printing paper or not.

Michael A. Smiith

5. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    JandC is now selling inexpensive trial packets of Fomatone. I must say, they sure got right on the price. Hope it stays that way.

http://www.jandcphotography.com

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Azo also has that very quick response to selenium starting with an increase of Dmax with a very slightly warm tone to a sudden shift toward purple-brown, which can be nice for some things, but isn't what I normally prefer. Try a weaker selenium solution.