"For Now", Eggleston's new book

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by phaedrus, Jan 1, 2011.

1. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm just coming out of the first quick walk-through of Eggleston's new book, and I must say I'm impressed. In "For Now", he shows a more documentary approach than in his previous books. Many pictures portray his wife, his friends and acquaintances in a non-formal way. The choice of colors and their balance is exquisite as always.
    Have you seen it yet? What do you feel about it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
  2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It is on my wish list. Thanks for the quick review. It encourages me further to get a copy soon.

3. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got this book for Christmas and love it.

It seems that the photos were selected from Eggleston's unpublished work. It's like an album of outtakes, in a way. But the quality of the work is superlative, and though disparate the pictures end up creating a fascinating collection, or maybe a kind of story. The guy who made the selections* has a great eye. And of course so does Eggleston.

Ironically, this is the first Eggleston book or exhibition -- and I've seen a lot -- that gave me a hint of the man himself. Ironic because he didn't choose to publish these pictures himself. He doesn't even seem to have been very involved in it. The book contains outstanding, and blessedly brief, essays as well. It's a physically large book, with excellent printing quality. I think it's clear how much care was taken putting it together.

I don't think this is the book for those unfamiliar with his work, but those who are fans should appreciate it. In truth, I was more excited after reading this book than after seeing his giant retrospective exhibit and catalogue at the Art Institute of Chicago last year. The Art Institute show had all the great pieces, and was an amazing effort to present a career retrospective. But there were no real surprises. This was more relevatory, like finding a box of notebooks in the attic.

-Laura

*He deserves credit, so I looked up his name: William Almereyda. He made a documentary about Eggleston that now I have to watch.

4. cdholden

cdholden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format