For the futurists out there....

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Stephen Frizza, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok perhaps I'm a dreamer but inspired by a book called Future days by Isaac Asimov its gotten me thinking what do any of you envisage as the future photographic technology to surpass digital?

2. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Environmentally friendly Daguerreotypes :cool:

I suspect 3D recording and smelly-vision would be the next technologies to supplant what we see as digital photography today.

3. Mr.3D

Mr.3D Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Future photographic technology to surpass digital? Film!:D

Jeff

5. Mr.3D

Mr.3D Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Sooner or later all things come back into favor. Thats why I throw away or sell nothing. Its also the reason I'm no longer married.

B

6. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    well i mean maybe in the future light from moments of time could be preserved in sodium vapor clouds cooled to twelve billionths of a kelvin? or space time could be fucked with to capture light from events and we could look upon that warped space to see the event with out own eyes at will? lets think trippy....whats after digital?

7. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have this idea of these 3D projections you could step into - total immersion of sight, sound, taste and smell. They'd be moving and editable and from this 'base' one could extract a snapshot which would be a still version of the scene still using all dimensions and senses. You could then explore this static world and produce two-dimensional 'traditional' pictures from any angle.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Right on Jeff, 6X6 Fuji Velvia slides projected onto a big screen surpass any digital I've ever seen.

9. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holodeck technology like on Star Trek:TNG. An immersive 3-D environment which for all intents and purposes looks, feels and seems REAL. I think we're a long way from it, but that would be the thing- a virtual environment where you could literally step inside the picture frame and explore the world inside the photo, and even look back at the photographer from the point of view of the subject.

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What an interesting concept, instead of projecting my M/F Velvia slides onto a screen, I could project the viewers into the picture :D

11. HouTexDavid

HouTexDavid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm going in a different direction. The photographs that I consider "masterpieces" are not that because of how accurately they reflect reality. (Thus, why I'm not in the camp of the future has to be 3-d, super-realistic) In fact, I would argue that some of the greatest photographs are of dubious technical accuracy - slightly out of focus, grainy, even -- shudder -- in black and white!

Therefore, I think that the "sci-fi" dreams of future photograpy for me would be a way to evoke an emotion by somehow implanting an image directly into a person's (or group of persons') consciousness. Sort of an image that does not depend on visual perception, but goes straight to the brain. Photography for the blind?

Anyway, it's science fiction, right, so who knows?!?

David

12. paulie

paulie Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    energy crisis forces countries to ban battery chargers

13. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Digital technology is not photography, never was, never will be. It is an independent way of making pictures with strong parallels to traditional painting and drawing; painting by machines guided by numbers rather than painting by hand guided by thoughts.

Photography is the NAME of a particular process. Which process? See signature below!

14. Mr.3D

Mr.3D Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Very well put...

Thankyou

B

15. thomnola

thomnola Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    read "After Photography" by Fred Ritchin. from an Amazon review: "Ritchen stresses how digital media, linked through the Web, offer an appropriative and hypertextual approach to photography that promises to reinvent the embattled authorial image into an evolving collaboration, conversation and investigation among an infinite number of ordinary people."

16. Dave Ludwig

Dave Ludwig Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maris - Right on target. The label is "Digital Graphic Artsist", or "Digital Graphic Designer". I said it before and I'll say it again " You can send a blind person into the forest with a gun and unlimited bullets and sooner or later they will shoot something. That doesn't make them a Hunter".
    I pray galleries will some day recognize the differece and classify it for what it is.

17. rthomas

rthomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    How about the Esper photo analysis machine from Blade Runner? Virtually unlimited resolution and the ability to analyze reflections so well that you could literally see around corners.

18. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And then you'll be saying, "Hey be careful! Don't scratch the emulsion!" :rolleyes:

19. nolanr66

nolanr66 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Digital is the future of photography. Maybe the next thing will be single frame capture from a large pixel camcorder. Folks want a camera that easily connects to the computer and that is the way the future will be.

20. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think its ignorant to think digital is the final frontier....there will in time (perhaps it will take centuries but i doubt it) be a moment where digital is the new analog.

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    moving holographic veneer ...

for example when the tear down a historic building
    they will put a panel up of a scene of the building torn down,
    near or on the new thing on the site. it will be a 3-d representation
    of what was there, and have movement to show its life, not static.
    kind of the merge between holography, moving images, digital and traditional
    all wrapped in one.

22. SilverGlow

SilverGlow Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know what will be the future for photography, but whatever it is I hope it has the following attributes, which would make it a heck of a lot better then film and digital:

1. Dynamic Range the same width as human vision (4-5 stops wider then print negative film).
    2. Supports ISO 25,600 with no noise, no grain, no pixelation, no granularity when enlarged 1,000x, no color casts, no color creep.
    3. Can provide 100% fidelity 1,000 years later.
    4. Can be archived on very low cost, high capacity media, yet it is not necessarily digitized.
    5. Cost per frame is lower then digital capture.
    6. Color space granularity demands 64 bit/channel color.

23. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, SLRs will disappear for sure (and good riddance, in my opinion). There will be (and some would argue, already are) electronic viewfinders that make mirrors and little viewfinders obsolete. The very high end EVFs are way too costly for now but that will change. For some time I have imagined a 1:1 EVF that basically shows what's on the sensor, at the same resolution. With backlighting.

I guess the next grand frontier is adaptive optics. I imagine a camera firing a reference beam through the lens, receiving the scattered beam, and adjusting the imaging system to aim for maximum sharpness, as a function of subject distance.

I also imagine sensors that are not perfectly flat but perhaps actuated (via piezo) for small curvature corrections. I imagine an element in the lens that is piezo strained. Yes, nobody will be able to afford it for a good long while :wink: This is a military application first, as are many of the most forward-thinking technologies.

I also imagine highly modular systems in which the camera body is basically the same but you can swap out the sensor, like the failed Leica Modul R system but much better!

Nothing particularly exciting is going to happen for a good long while though- the cameramakers are dueling over very minor incremental improvements now. There's just not much room for anybody to break out with new products within the current market and manufacturing methods.

24. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    P.S. Most of the things I mentioned already exist in some form, the technology simply hasn't trickled down to the commercial camera level... and won't for quite some time.

25. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://www.designerinlight.com/lippmann/con2hib1.pdf

This is the future! Full color holography (don't let the lame pictures or the fact that it's impossible to reproduce the images for a computer screen sway you)

Quote.... "The virtual colour image behind a holographic plate represents the most realistic-looking image of an object that can be recorded today."