Format Comparison Spreadsheet+

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by craigclu, Mar 26, 2009.

1. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I open this from time to time when I forget the diagonal of a format, etc. It shows the film area and diagonals for the basic formats. I first did this some years ago and I believe I used the frame on film measurements from exposed images on my own equipment so it may not be at an accepted standard but should serve as a good general reference. Please point out any errors you spot as this wasn't meant for "prime time" but just a handy, quick reference for my own use. Maybe some panoramics would be interesting to add for calculating an "ideal" enlarging lens focal length, etc?

Attached Files:

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your diagonals are within a millimeter of those I have measured on my equipment. I have a similar spreadsheet that goes on to do the math for all the focal length equivalents (based on the diagonals).

3. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for posting this -- it's a nice reference tool.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Craig, if you want to take it a few steps further it's useful to add half-frame, and 10x8 as well as 6x12 and 6x17. In my own table I also have 9x12cm as that's a sheet film format I'm using.

Then have a comparison of lenses & coverage - particularly useful for Large format work because it ties in with the diagonal of the film formats. Just a few thoughts.

Ian

5. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format