Former Soviet Union Film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Speed Racer, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Speed Racer

Speed Racer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Greetings to all. I shall start quite simply, what do you ( ya'll ) know about
    film that the former Soviet Union had / has ? ( Excluding Efke, Adox and Foma. ) Where can we get some ?

Speed Racer
    Delta V Corps

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    From the FSU, you could look for Slavich films and glass plates. You can often find the glass plates from suppliers of holography materials. I don't know if J&C carries anything from Slavich, but you might try retrophotographics.co.uk or fotoimpex.de. You can also purchase directly from their website--www.slavich.com

3. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW, I bought a few boxes of past-date (by two months, three months by the time I got it) Svema FN64 film from the seller to whom Tom refers. I've only shot one "real" roll of it, developed in Rodinal 1:25 for 6:15 at 20C. I also tried a test roll in various developers to get some idea of times in other developers, and although I haven't tried these specific times, I guesstimate 11:00-11:30 in XTOL 1:1 or 11:00-12:00 in PC-Glycol 1:1:48 should get you in the right ballpark.

Overall, I liked the results. The film is a bit grainy for its speed, at least in Rodinal, but it's not as grainy as, say, Efke KB100. The grain's got a good "feel" to it; it reminds me a bit of Fomapan 400, although it's not as grainy as that.

FWIW, the film comes in reusable plastic cassettes. They aren't DX coded, though.

5. cvik

cvik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. cvik

cvik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I just glimpsed at the question and overlooked the word "excluding".
    The links I provided sell exactly the films he was spesifically not looking for :-|

8. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber