Formulary TF-4 and Kallitype

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by AshenLight, Sep 16, 2009.

1. AshenLight

AshenLight Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

It seems to me that all kallitype fixers contain an alkaline component to minimize bleaching. Using sodium thiosulfate and ammonium hydroxide is okay but a bit on the, umm, aromatic side. Has anyone used TF-4 or an equivalent alkaline fixer for kallitypes and if so what was your experience?

Thanks,

Ash

2. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used TF-2 fixer ( see Darkroom Cookbook for recipe). I believe it was Wolfgang Moersch who recommeded an alkaline fixer for Kallitypes. It really did help on the bleaching.

3. AshenLight

AshenLight Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response. I'll look TF-2 up and give it a try. The ammonia fumes really get to me even with more than adequate ventilation...

Ash

4. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alkali fixer isn't a good idea with any of iron/silver processes IMHO; you risk forming iron hydroxide in the paper (if not cleared well), which will eventually break havoc with the silver image... Try to mix something neutral (if you want to fiddle that is), not too alkali (iron hyrdroxide risk) or too acid (dissoving silver nano particles = bleaching).

FWIW, I was using 2% plain sodium thiosulfate (for 2 minutes) with my Vandykes; perfect fixing (they're still in very good condition after 5 years) and "no bleaching"... To me it seems that people experience fixer bleaching with iron/silver processes because of using stronger than needed fixer strength and/or longer than needed fixing time. Hint: Actual unreacted silver salt content of paper (after rinse and clear stages) is very low with iron/silver processes; therefore you actually need very little fixer to get rid of the remainder.

My rule of thumb is "2 minutes in 2 percent". (Fresh fixer, I change the fixer every 3 8x10" print; gets in solution very quickly and it's cheap, so I don't bother with trying to "faire des économies"...)

My 2c,
    Loris.

5. MVNelson

MVNelson Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have used T4 fixer exclusively for kallitype. i actually like the results and no bleaching even with times extended to 4 minutes. Also , washing is complete in less than 30 minutes. Archival treatment includes palladium toning....

Miles