Forte Dead Again?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by KenM, May 26, 2005.

1. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Folks, I just got off the phone with a photographer friend today, and he was told by the local camera store dude that Forte has closed - this time for good. Now, my friend was called under the context that "Hey, I've got some paper here, and you should buy it because Forte has closed again - this time for good", but I in no way suspect that this guy is just trying to unload some paper.

Has anybody heard anything to confirm this?

Personally, this doesn't make any sense - why would somebody buy Forte, restructure, and then reopen, only to close a few months later? If their business skills are that bad, perhaps they shouldn't be in the business of buying questionable businesses.

I'm hoping that this is just bullcrap...

2. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Silverprint in London had a delivery on Monday

3. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    can I say that is a good way for a salesman to dump some paper he wants to move fast. Forte is not gone.

4. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I doubt some "local camera store dude" would be the 1st with this news if it were true. He is probably simply 3 months behind with the news and is still talking about the original troubles...

Thanks for the head's up David - I tried to buy some Polywarmtone FB to try out 6 weeks or so ago and Silverprint said they would be getting a new delivery sometime around now (I like the RC version but it's very slow - too slow to be useable for me - if the fibre version is as slow, it will be a pity).

Cheers, Bob.

5. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There are to many other good if not better papers out there to get excited about whether Forte is dead or alive.

6. msage

msage Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I talked to the rep that handles Forte and he has the word that they are having labor troubles and may close for good soon. I hope not, I like there paper!
    Michael

7. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I dont agree that they are in no way unique as you suggest. There are no other papers that I know of which are:

1. As cold as polygrade
    2. Have the same 300g museum base as Fortezo and PWT, tho I think some of teh very expensive berggers come close.

They are far cheaper than papers such as bergger

IMO the forte papers are wonderful and I am of the opinion that PWT and fortezo deserve legendary status. They may not be every day papers, but when I decided to print up some box portfolios of the kids, PWT was to me, the obvious choice.

I think they would be agreat loss. They are old school and look like it which is part of the appeal.

8. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Forte?

If forte is out of busines then how come everyone(B+H etc.) has the paper back in stock?
    And in case you didn't know it Forte makes the Bergger paper(which is also in stock) for them in their factory, While there may still be some problems I understand that the Government of Hungary may take over the factory if needed to save the company. I have a friend in the travel business who communicates with Hungary on a daily basis; I'm going to call this morning and see if she can dig up some FACTUAL information. In the meantime buy the paper......
    No offense but all you doomsayers had to do was click on some of these merchants websites to see that Mr. Salesman was full of sh....
    Regards, Peter

9. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :rolleyes:

10. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ken, it sounds like you need to find a different salesman. If this is his idea of selling, don't buy a car from him. tim

11. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree with you Tom when it comes to the museum weight warmtone polygrade. I really like that stuff. But in this day and age I have found it best not to get to attached to any brand in particular. Especially not to develop such an identifiable look using one paper that if it's discontinued I would be hooped.

12. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can live without Polywarmtone but what to use instead of Fortezo? Not sure why but I'm always picking it when I print on several papers. Any other graded warmtones out there? Bergger is probably made by Forte and similar to Fortezo. Insignia is gone.

13. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I ran out of Fortenza and B&H was out so i ordered some J&C classic - It has almost exactly the same tonal range in grade 2 and it is very hard to tell the difference - (except it is a couple dollars cheaper. )

14. Maine-iac

Maine-iac Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Lots of rumors out there; the one that seems to make the most sense to me with the on again/off again availability is that Forte is operating episodically upon receipt of pre-paid orders of a certain size. In otherwords, if B&W or Freestyle places a pre-paid order for xxx boxes, then the factory goes into operation to fill that order and then shuts down again. If that is true, then the labor problems are obvious; no one has steady employment, so how do you keep your workers?

In view of Agfa Photo's imminent demise, perhaps more orders will be coming for Forte. We can only hope.

Larry