Forte issue?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Aurelien, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Robert, you were this week in Hradec Kralové to discuss of the future of forte. So this is my question: what's going on?

Aurelien

2. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Holga
    Hello ? Anyone hear anything since the flurry of optimism a few weeks back?

3. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am sorry to tell you that Forte seems to be definitely dead.

4. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Translated by Babel Fish:rolleyes:

FORTE at the end

For 5 weeks the machines stand still with FORTE. After our information there is no hope that production is ever again taken up. The past years were too involving heavy losses, to largely the value of properties and the buildings. Whereupon it runs out now: one uses the area and the buildings or one tears her off. Depending on, who buys everything. FORTE of papers sold by several offerers under own name, also in Germany. From this circle there are efforts, with another manufacturer from the eastern European Union area a paper manufacture to leave, which approximates the popular Polywarmtone plus FB. This idea stands however completely at the beginning. It is still completely open, which from it becomes.

6. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So translated, someone else (Foma perhaps) is going to try an clone Polywarmtone Plus FB, I heard a few formulations are off to Kentmere, the film business is dead in the water and the plant will be flattened for a shopping mall. That is unless someone makes an offer they can't refuse.

Bill

7. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Uncle Bill,

Back when Forte's closure was first announced Kentmere did tell the British Journal of Photography that they were taking a look at making a deal to produce some of the papers in the UK.

I don't think anything ever came of that. Certainly, at this stage, there has been no further news from Kentmere that I know of.

Have you heard anything concrete?

It does sound like somebody will have to buy the Forte "cow" outright in order for us to have the photographic "milk" - at least from Vac. That doesn't sound likely unless a general credit crunch emerges...At the moment, the present ownership seems content to sit on the property and let it appreciate.

Perhaps the papers can be produced elsewhere. We will have to see.

8. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    What I know is "some other paper maker will try to produce PW14 paper" but nothing is assured about cloning died Polywarmtone paper by Forte. When you take a recipe and make it in another kitchen, the taste is often different.

9. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well I am busy with my last Forte PW14 paper on 50x60cm now and I hope we can bring back this paper soon on a very equivalent base again. But you're right about reproducing papers on another location with other equipment so in fact impossible to reproduce 100% exactly the same type of paper but I am sure we will be very close to it :wink: .

Best regards,

Robert

10. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the update, Robert.

Is there any possiblity that the neutral-toned Polygrade papers may also be produced again under such an arrangement?

As always, your continued efforts on behalf of the analog photographic community are appreciated.

11. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have heard nothing. In fact Forte's closure/inactivity has been frought with rumour. I tried out some Polywarmtone Museum weight FB, nice results but I found working with it was um, fustrating compared to ilford and Zone VI products.

I am going to miss the Funky 400 ISO black and white, I actually liked the grain.

Bill

12. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If there is enough demand our partner group will make it but somewhere there must be an economical reason to do it. However the manufacturer we are dealing with is rather flexible in his production, minimum quantity and with our partners (Moersch, Bergger a.s.o.) there is enough affection with the analog community to overcome the minimum financial resources to do it. We are not depending on shares or people who have to be paid for doing other, none effective jobs on behalf of the analog photography. If the market is more stable we do an evaluation of the photographic products needed by our Europe wide customers. Our manufacturer will take care of the other markets.

Best regards from the Netherlands where spring has begun :smile:

Fotohuis RoVo
    http://www.FotohuisRoVo.com
    http://www.FotohuisRoVo.eu
    http://www.FotohuisRoVo.nl

Robert

PS. The new PW14 paper will be also suitable for lith printing!

13. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  14. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Problem with those types of film is curling. I tried Foma100 in 120, but big problem with curling. It's a pity, because the film is very beautiful.
    The problem was the same with Forte.

15. Fotohuis

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It depends how and how quick you're drying these films but you're right about the "problem" . The 120 roll film versions are made a different polyester PET base which gives more curl. The 35mm is certainly not any problem at all about the curl problem.
    Advanced (and more expensive) films have a non-curling layer on the back side. Then the PET layer is much more flat. Most Rollei films are equipped with this technique. The only exception are the Rollei Retro films which are based on tri-acetate (Agfa APX) layer.

Best regards,

Robert

16. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That PDF is a little misleading because the discription is based on the specifications of the Forte Papers. The paper weight of Foma Variant III by example is approx. 180g/m2 and not as Forte 235g/m2? To get a clear sight on both papers it's likely the best to mention also both specifications.