Forte Polygrade and Lith

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Gary Holliday, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm considering buying a supply of Forte Polygrade as it's at a very decent price at present.

What are people's experiences with this paper and lith?

Also, in normal developer does this tone well in the old Kodak and Ilford selenium?

2. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It liths to a cold black and cool putty colour Gary. I like it. It tones OK (cool)
    Haven't toned it much apart from Lith
    Tim

3. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here is a sample of one image done with Polygrade. I think it is a nice alternative when you want something a bit more subtle (color-wise). My question is what will serve as a good replacement now that polygrade is no longer produced.

4. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If the stock is large, perhaps the seller would let you take a small sheet to test for fog. I have found about half of the Forte Polygrade I pick second hand is fogged. Not so with the graded Fortezo papers.

5. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had no fogging issues and have been using ALOT of polygrade for the last few months. But maybe I got lucky with my batches..(?). At any rate - I can't tell you about lith/toning response- but I can tell you all about toning with it. It's very sensitive to toning - and will yield very strong color changes with most toners. Selenium toning tends toward the red, if anything - and you have to be careful to pull early - not to take it too far. Most sepia type toners will give you a very vigorous response - again- exercise prudence not to get too 'cartoony' an effect. I've been playing with it with various sepia, titanium, and bleach/split toning processes (selenium and thiourea dioxide).

6. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Where is your link for the image?

I will buy a few boxes of the polygrade for a forthcoming project. After that I will look for anything that takes my fancy. I don't really like the very warm blacks associated with WT papers, although Kentmere WT is the exception.

7. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  8. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great pictures Mark, in some photos there isn't much difference between the Kentmere and the Forte PWT...thanks for the examples.