Forte Polywarmtone

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Ailsa, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Ailsa

Ailsa Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Had a quite fruitful session in the darkroom on Saturday (first set of postcards leaving the UK tomorrow, anyone who's interested), printing with Forte Polywarmtone paper for the first time. I was using Ilford Multigrade developer, simply because that's what the darkroom had at the time, but was wondering whether anyone could recommend other developers to try and what sort of results I can expect (warmer, cooler etc).

Any pointers gratefully received!

2. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ailsa,
    I use Forte Polywarmtone alot. I use a homemade developer that is based on Defender 55. Does not give the green look that Dektol does and has a good life. Look for it in the Darkroom Cookbood by Anchell.

lee\c

3. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    We have used quite a large variety of commercial developers in one of our classes. All produce acceptable prints. It will depend on the "look" you desire. the more popular choice has been LPD 1:4 and Zonal Pro Warm tone developer.

4. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is on eof my favorite papers. I have conducted a number of tests using this paper and Ilford MG Warm Tone in a number of warm tone devlopers. I have an article on my web site that shows the differences in image color and contrast.

You can check it out at

http://home.pacbell.net/mkirwan/WarmTone.pdf

Hope this helps

Mike

5. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ailsa, Most of the developers mentioned are not available here in the UK which is unfortunate for they are all excellent, in my experience. Those available in the UK that I would recommend are Grade Select a two bath developer and Warm Tone both from Fotospeed or D163 available from Michael maunders at Speedibrews. They will all give a warm tone.

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Unavailable chemicals are my main reason for mixing my own - but don't forget that we can find a lot of chemicals in Europe that they can't get over there.

Has anyone tried the chemicals from Fotokemika Zagreb?

7. tommorris

tommorris Member

How about the Forte Polywarmtone developer? I've got a bottle upstairs somewhere, but never really had the time to try it out on Poly paper(I'm not much of a warmtone person myself). I have used it on ordinary paper - Multigrade and some Agfa stuff.