Forte RC paper special offer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Matt5791, May 18, 2006.

1. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have just noticed that Silverprint ( http://www.silverprint.co.uk ) have a special offer on the Forte RC paper - 8X10 100 sheets Polygrade for £17.63 with corespondingly similar deals on larger sizes.

Sounded like a good deal as the best I could buy RC paper for before was Ilford MG for £20 / 100.

Matt

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Matt. Based on this price and what people have said recently about Forte, it sounds like a great deal. Especially from a company which in my experience competes on its range of products, not on price.

pentaxuser

3. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just remember to use a Kodak 1A safelight - nothing, repeat, nothing else will do! If this is the same as the Adox Easyprint paper just remember to develop for at least three minutes because of the thicker emulsion and lack of incorporated developer. If it is the same paper then be prepared for an incredible D-max for an RC paper!

Oops! Just realised that Easyprint is an RC version of Efke/ADOX Varycon and that Fineprint is Efke/Adox Fineprint known in a previous life as Dupont Varilour. They are both availble from Retro Photographic at very reasonable prices. The comments about safelights still apply

My apologies,

Lachlan

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2006
  4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an Ilford 902 safelight. Is this the same? What's special about the Kodak 1A in respect of Forte paper which doesn't apply to other safelights?

Thanks

pentaxuser

5. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak 1A - RED

Ilford 902 - LIGHT BROWN

I don't know why this is but 902 safelights fog almost all eastern European papers - anyway you are best to follow the manufacturer's recommendation!

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

6. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I agree, I have used ilford paper with my safe lights on full even during printing. (a very weird feeling for me) and no problems, but with Forte, even a little light from my Thomas, fog, fog, fog.

I have put rubylith film over to help, but I think 1A is really the way to go, and then, not for very long.

7. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to disagree with you as I work in a darkroom with six Kodak beehive type safelights and have never, ever experienced fog with Adox/Fotokemika Efke paper. Just keep the safelights a meter or so away and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

8. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. So unless I get a red Kodak safelight I need to purchase a red front which is Ilford's equivalent to the Kodak. Hmmm. Unless the Forte paper is special and I become a convert then the added cost of a red filter front for the Ilford safelight means it's less of a bargain than first appeared. At least for those without red safelights.

pentaxuser

9. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could of course have just started out with red safelights which can be used with all papers! :tongue: :smile: :D

Lachlan

10. p krentz

p krentz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could get hold of a GE 7.5w red bulb and hang it on a seperate cord in the D/R. Much cheaper than a red filter. Pat :D