Found: 1950's Ansco Craftsman

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ErinHilburn, May 11, 2006.

1. ErinHilburn

ErinHilburn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A good friend of mine was rambling around an old house and he stumbled upon a 1950's Ansco Craftsman. He wasn't asking me about it and I can't tell him much, but I told him I would ask the people of apug certian that someone would know. Does anyone know much about the camera?
    Thanks,
    Erin

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DO visit the westford site - its one of my favourites - I can't get enough of the pictures, the old cameras, the stories and the rather insightful comments! I especially like the "found film" files - they give me goose-bumps, I feel like some time travelling voyeur:smile: There is also an extensive list of cameras, most of them with pictures of the camera as well as ones taken with the camera. The Ansco has a very nice protfolio!

It just made me wonder - I bet there is someone who still has one of these kits in a box, never opened, or at least never assembled. I wonder if I could bring myself to build it - and I am not even talking about monetary value as a collectible (which I have no clue about - I assume its pretty slim), but I would be torn between wanting to build it, and not wanting to alter its original, preserved for so long, state... But I ramble.

Peter.

4. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you found the levitating granny yet? :smile:

Lachlan

5. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    NO! Now I AM curious! :D Where is she - in the found films, I assume?

6. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is the second photo down on THIS page - she appears to be floating around the ceiling...
    Now see if you can find the processing defect from another camera that looks like a slug... :smile:

Lachlan

7. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How did I miss that one!? That's interesting, a "ghostly" looking double ex. for sure! I have not yet found the slug - to tell you the truth, sometimes I get a chill and have to stop looking at some of these... but I always go back!

8. ErinHilburn

ErinHilburn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks...He's really excited about the film in it. Hopefully its something that can be developed :wink:
    -Erin

9. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Erin,

If I recall correctly, there were several threads here on APUG on how to best handle old, old found film - also, I believe the westofrd site contains some pointers. Do a search here for "found film" or out of date film developing (well, try several wordings - I know its out there). I wish I could help more, but I have no experience in this area.

It must be pretty exciting to wait and see what's on there - I certainly understand your firends excitement.

Peter.

10. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just watch out for the slugs and floating grannies... :D :D :D

Lachlan

11. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D:D:D