FP-3000b on its way out.

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by polyglot, Nov 16, 2013.

1. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    FP3000B discontinuance

Petition

I note that the only effective petition to a business is to buy their products though, and this stuff is $$$$.

2. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Wait are you saying they've discontinued this film, are you sure about that, can you give a reference and or company announcement page?

Do you know if it's discontinued everywhere or just where you are? I hope it's not discontinued in America :sad:

3. Karl A

Karl A Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It is expensive if you buy it locally, but it is only $9.95 at B&H…and sold out now

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the reference it is stated that a Fuji repesentative has said that manufacture would end this year.

5. onnect17

onnect17 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check uniquephoto.com
    It shows "In Stock"

6. Kc2edh

Kc2edh Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well that makes me sad. Really sad! Nice to see thousands of signature on that petition. Added mine, hope it makes a difference.

7. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very disappointing that Fujifilm would discontinue a film that is so unique. I guess the bottom has not yet been reached. :sad:

8. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    OH on the Tapatalk app I use to view this thread, it is not obvious that the word "petition" is a link, I was very confused, and I couldn't understand what everyone else was looking at until I went to the website and now I see. The link is clickable in the tapatalk App, it's just that I didn't realize that's what it was hah!

9. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Does anyone know, do they still make the 4x5 in japan? I really wanted to shoot at least one pack of the 4x5 stuff with a model but the only time I saw any (I think that was also at unique photo) was when I didn't have any money :sad: and now it's gone.

10. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well that sucks. Only shot a pack of it but I like it. And you can't freeze it. Though you can refrigerate it and, judging by old Polaroid, that may preserve it quite a while - but maybe not with such a fast film which brings me back to "well that sucks."

11. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    4x5 got a fairly recent last shipment from Japan, maybe 3-4 months ago but it's gone gone gone.

The b&w 3000B will probably age better than the 100C color emulsion, if my experience with expired film is at all telling.

12. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yodobashi Camera has both the 3000B and 100C in stock (4x5), but they are both pricey (3800 yen for B, 4000 yen for C, 10 sheets).

13. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fujifilm did announce the discontinuation of this film quite some time ago on their website (in Japanese).

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That's only $40/box, hmm wonder what the shipping cost is though :sad:

16. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is a good price ($40/box). B&H had the FP100c45 at $35/box the last time they had it, a few months back. I mourn the loss of all the 4x5 sizes, and FP100B in all sizes more than the 3000B but still, a loss is a loss. :-/

17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yea I agree it's an OK price.

If I can sell half the "prints" then it would be worth it.

The ability to reach 3000 ASA is what I like most. I haven't tried pushing HP5+ to 3200 yet but I doubt it would be as nice of an image as the FP3000B but maybe it's better, I'll give both a try soon.

18. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Delta 3200 is awesome at 3200. If the 3000 speed is what you need, it's great. (As is/was TMZ but D3200 is still made and, best if all, in 120.)

/thread creep, back to Fuji instant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Haha! Both are great, but the Fuji stuff has a certain look, I said this before and everybody says well you can get the same look by developing the developer differently and blah blah blah, but I'm telling you The Fuji stuff is really beautiful and it's great for modeling, it's actually closer to something like the Eastman Double-x movie stock film (that I'm trying to get special cut in 4x5) in look, just a higher ASA, that higher ASA really allows you to get some of those beautiful window shots where the diffuse light from the sky is coming to the window and the model just glows.

I'm debating whether it's worth spending the money to actually order the 4x5 stuff at $40 a box.

Stupid money!

20. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've shot one pack of the Fuji 3000B. I hate to see it go but I admit about all I could do consistently was get too much contrast.

21. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think the main problem with the film was it was meant for a completely different thing. The 100 stuff is still actually good for checking before you take a picture with color film, I still use it all the time before I shoot a 4 x 5 transparency. But this other stuff is meant more for shooting in a Polaroid Land camera. And so many people use the smaller format Polaroid land camera's, they don't use them as much and so of the two films the color one was of course purchased more often.

I have seen some really well made images shot with this stuff, but I again I think it's sort of more of a specialty and unfortunately the specialty stuff these days is getting thinner and thinner.

Ironically I would probably shoot the 4 x 5 stuff of the black-and-white way more often than I would the color stuff if I had 2 backs. But the large format transparency work takes precedence over the more fun Polaroid B&W shots.

22. amuderick

amuderick Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The film keeps really well honestly. All the Fuji instant stuff keeps far better than Polaroid. For whatever reason they are getting a much better seal on their pods. Also, the color shifts are much less. I shot 9 year old Instax film and every shot covered completely. There was a slight color shift but nothing like the orange cast and lack of contrast that ruined Polaroid 600 shots.

Remember that the ISO 3200 is actually an ISO ~1000 formulation with a reflective back layer to add to the sensitivity. So it isn't nearly as sensitive to age as real ISO 3200 film.

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Umm real "ISO 3200 film" is also actually 1000 that pushes well....

Also, so that's what the white backing is? It reflects light back onto the film for added intensity?

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The effective speed increase with silver-salt transfer materials is due to the way the positive image is formed.

25. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Recent Fujifilm discontinuations have gone from cutting fat well into cutting away bone now. It's very disappointing to see that we have not reached a level where their films are sustainable. Now we have no high speed instant film, no high speed slide film, no high speed b & w film, and no slow speed color film in 120.

Big, huge gaping holes are appearing in Fujifilm's lineup.

26. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    FP3000B discontinuance

Ilford.... Nuff said fast and slow B&W and the direct positive is sort of instant :wink: