Fp4 in Pyrocat for Palladium with BTZS

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Paul, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Paul

Paul Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Would anyone have BTZS numbers/times for FP4 in pyrocat 2:2:100 that he/she would be willing to share? I am shooting for a density range in the 1.75-1.8 area for palladium.

I know that Clay Harmon posted times on unblinkingeye.com, but those numbers are for a 1.5:3:100 dilution.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Why don't you just start with Clay's dilution?

3. Paul

Paul Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I might do that, but I think I read somewhere that he abandoned the use of that dilution in favor of 2:2:100 because it was causing excessive base fog or general stain or some such thing.

4. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am temporarily without my PC laptop where my Winplotter files are stored so my suggestion may be a big off. However, you should reach a DR of about 1.8 with FP4+ in the 2:2:100 dilution of Pyrocat-HD in about 12 minutes with continuous agitation at 70F. Add about 15% time to that for tray development with shuffle agitation.

Sandy King

5. Paul

Paul Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sandy,

Thanks. That is the number I would have guessed at. What strikes me as strange is that from the numbers I have seen, it looks as though the development times for FP4 and TMY are about the same throughout the SBRs. If that is so, it is a lucky coincidence (less for me to remember).

-Paul

6. MVNelson

MVNelson Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have noticed that several films in pyrocat in a specific dilution will develop with reasonably similar times especially in BTZS tubes.

Miles

7. Paul

Paul Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Miles,

That does seem to be the case. Clay Harmon notes that TMY and FP4 require roughly equal development times throughout the SBR range to achieve a density suitable for palladium. That is at the 1.5:3:100 dilution. I will probably just start by trying FP4 at the same times I have been using successfully for TMY with the 2:2:100 dilution.

I do not have a densitometer or the means to do BTZS testing, but I find the metering techniques easy to use so I borrow other people's numbers and adjust them for my own use. I realize that is probably is a violation of the rigorous principles of the BTZS technique, but so be it.

-Paul

8. Paul

Paul Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Poking around in the archives I found a post in which Sandy King posted times for FP4 in pyrocat to produce negative density of 1.6, which is not far from what I am looking for. I quote it here for anyone who might be interested:

"[W]hen shooting for a DR of 1.6 I need the following times wiht the 2;2:100 dilution oif Pyrocat-HD at 70F.

SBR 10 5:00 minutes
    SBR 9 6:30 minutes
    SBR 8 9:15 minutes
    SBR 7 11:00 minutes
    SBR 6 14:00 minutes
    SBR 5 19:00 minutes

These are the times I use with FP4+ for kallitype and palladium negatives. I am really surprised that you need a negative with this much density range for AZ0. I wonder if this isthe experience of other AZO printers?

Sandy"