Franka Solida IIe 6x6 camera

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by LimeyKeith, Jun 17, 2017.

1. LimeyKeith

LimeyKeith Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have just acquired a lovely little Franka Solida IIe 6x6 camera with a Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 80mm f3.5 lens in a Prontor SVS shutter that hadn't been used for over forty years. On examination there seemed to be some fungus in the lens so I removed the front and rear elements and cleaned them with white vinegar and distilled water and they have come up sparkling. The same procedure was used on the front surface of the middle element and then on the back surface by opening the shutter on B with the aperture wide open (Ididn't attempt to remove the middle element). A test film after reassembly shows it to be a terrific little lens.

The downside to the camera is that the shutter setting ring is very stiff to move, even with the EV interlock disengaged, so I'm assuming the only way to ease the problem is the the normal dismantle/soak in IPA etc which I am reluctant to try for fear of making the camera unusable.

I was hoping someone here might let me have a few grams of pixie dust to sprinkle over it and effect a cure. :wink: Stiff adjustment or not I got a smashing little MF camera c/w with fitted case, push-on lens hood + case and (I think) a U/V filter for £10.

Front.jpg Top.jpg

Edit: Sorry about the quality of the pictures

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some may pooh pooh the idea but a modest drop of Naptha between the rings should do it.
    It my need io be repeated a couple of times but but should have a dramatic improvement right off.

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got the ame camera with the same problem; Mine is 63 years old, which I know for certain since it was used by my Dad for my baby pictures. I'd like to fix mine too. Let me know how you get on with your repair!

4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use http://www.crcindustries.com/products/qd-174-electronic-cleaner-11-wt-oz-05103.html electrical contact cleaner, safer than pure Naphtha.
    The camera appears to have a front focus lens, there will be a stop screw that when removed will allow the front lens cell to be removed then and secondary/internal lens elements. Once removed the shutter front can be removed and the shutter serviced without removing it from the camera.
    Download the second and third manuals listed in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/prontor-shutters.147184/
    The shutter used in this camera diagram is either Mod00475 beginning on pdf page 193 of the second manual in the list. Each shutter variation has a different speed ring. There is another Mod 00475 shutter with a different speed ring.
    There is a trace of grease where the speed ring contacts the center barrel, the outer case of the shutter and possibly in the slots that the operating levers are guided by. The grease has dried out, best to remove the old and apply a thin coat of fresh. White lithium of similar light weight grease will work.

5. OP
    LimeyKeith

LimeyKeith Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks guys.

Ralph W. Lambrecht: Mine is one of these:- From J Noir on the 'net 'Most of these cameras were made for export, and therefore a legend is embossed on the leatherette of the camera that says "Made in Germany - US Zone". They were sold at Montgomery Ward, the first mail-order retailer founded in 1872.

Shutterfinger: Many thanks for the links. I also found the following on the 'net http://www.ipernity.com/doc/299425/album/547631 to add to the armoury. (Mods: If this breaks any rules please remove.)

6. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SVS are rather easy to service. You may not need to remove the entire shutter assembly, jusy the front elements and speed setting ring.

On the back of the ring little lube was applied that might have gone really hard. Clean it.

If slow speeds are stuck just apply a bit of lube with the tip of pin on those gears. Viola everything should be back to normal.

7. OP
    LimeyKeith

LimeyKeith Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm glad to report that I dismantled the front of the lens and sure enough there was some really dried up gunk on the faceplate and speed setting ring. Having cleaned off the old grease I applied the slightest smear of lithium grease, reassembled the lens and voila, the shutting ring moves smoothly through the various settings. I taped a piece od old groung glass to the film rails and check the infinity focus which I found was ok. I also measure and checked some shorter distances to compare with the results from the uncoupled rangefinder and was pleased to see that they are as near as I could expect. I'm not too good at guessing distances so this is a bit of a bonus for me. I'll check the shutter speeds another time just to get some idea of how they are running but from the test film I shot they seem to be ok. Thanks again for your help guys.

8. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Good job, enjoy.

9. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Prontor et al are kind of easy to work.