Fred Picker Video

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by gphoto120, Nov 26, 2008.

1. gphoto120

gphoto120 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Has anyone viewed the Fred Picker videos on the Negative, Printing and I believe a third one on composition ? Calumet has re-issued these on DVD and I was thinking of buying the set. Any Opinions/Critiques?
    thanks,
    gphoto120

2. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Printing video is the best of the three. I have all three originals on VHS and I will probably get the DVD.

3. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got the DVD. I'm crossing my fingers that the videos are excellent.

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got them

On VHS actually - the negative is like a talked through version of getting your personal film speed and development time dialled in. Fred wrote a nice little book on the sbject that I was familiar with before the video came along, that I thought did a better job.

The printing one was the best. Very informative, if you have never gotten into a lot of dodging and burning. Some of the effects that Fred goes into with a multitude of 3 second exposures can be avoided , in my opinion, by a bit of dodging while split grade printing.

The lets go out with Fred and his camera video I got the least out of.

Come to think of it, I think I have passed these on to David White.

5. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ordered the DVD as I strugle to get back into printing my negs after years of taking the scanning road. I hope Fred's presentation is addictive.

6. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fred had a wonderful didactic style, of course that's a question of personal taste but I think he was amazing. I am looking forward to hearing what people think of the quality of the DVD, I have a VHS tape of the Printing and enjoyed it very much.

7. mmcclellan

mmcclellan Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    They're outstanding! All three vids are great -- I bought them years ago and have watched them repeatedly through the years and will do so again. Can't speak to the quality of the DVD, but the content of the program itself is outstanding and his procedures, if followed, will certainly ensure good, repeatable results. Get them while you can! :smile:

8. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got the DVD and watched it over the week-end. Excellent stuff, very detailed and well organized.
    It will definitely be a reference for me, something that I will go back to as I progress with my darkroom technique.

9. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There is a thread on this in the Sponsors area where Calumet announced its availability.

I bought the DVD and have watched it. The video quality is fair but adequate. It is not meant to be exhaustive I think but I thought it was very good at covering the basics. I think it is well worth the money. How many of these instructional videos are available for large format photography and darkroom work anyway? Not many. I wish someone would make a more exhaustive, up to date video series like this, but probably a small audience.