Frederick Evans

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by eggshell, Nov 2, 2006.

1. eggshell

eggshell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi,

Could members here tell me if there are any venues in USA that permanently display original works of Frederick Evans? Thanks!

2. Shinnya

Shinnya Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually,

Philadelphia Museum of Art carries a lot of his prints. I have seen them in their archive, which is closed for renovation now...

Let me know if you need contact at PMA.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

3. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    George Eastman House in Rochester. Call ahead and schedule time and you can hold them in your own (gloved) hands...

4. eggshell

eggshell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks shinnya & Kerik. I will be in San Francisco in the middle of this month. Not sure if I'm able to travel to those states to view them. You know I just bought an old copy of Photographer of the Majesty, Light and Space of the Medieval Cathedrals of England & France. Even though the print quality isn't ideal, I am completely blown away. The precise camera positions, the lighting, space, etc.. Wow!

5. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  6. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW, you can still find some of the Camera Work photogravures floating around in some galleries. I picked up an Evans photogravure last year from John Cleary gallery on his 'sale' rack. They are still reasonably priced compared to an original platinum print. And they are quite beautiful.

7. eggshell

eggshell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks again. The information is much appreciated. And yes, I'll go visit a couple of art galleries too.

8. eggshell

eggshell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Clay, What kind of price range are we talking about for an Evans photogravure? Thanks!

9. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    300-500 dollars if you shop around. The Camera Work gravures are still sort of undiscovered gems. I think the stigma of 'reproduction' has kept them from skyrocketing in price. But I have scored several Coburns, Steichens and Evans gravures from different dealers for what I think are very reasonable prices. Like most things, if you like it, get it now. It will be 3 times the price the next time you look. I learned that lesson a few years ago with some Willy Ronis prints. He was still 'bargain-priced' three years ago, but his print prices have doubled and tripled in some cases in the last three years.

10. eggshell

eggshell Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Clay, Good info for a novice like me!

11. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Eggshell,

Looking at the Eugene Atget article in the December 2006, issue 10, of Focus magazine today I noticed an insert on page 73, "Next Vintage Focus: Fredrick H. Evans (1853-1943)”. Focus is six issues per year so I assume we will have to wait until the February issue. It is great that someone is writing about Evans. I also have the Aperture 1973 monolog that you found. It is all I have been able to find in print about Evans.

John Powers