Free Iphone exposure meter app

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's a FREE exposure meter app for your Iphone that is pretty good. I've tested it with my Minolta Meter IV and my SLR and it's within a 1/4 stop of both. I think it will make a good meter in a pinch or as your regular meter.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-light-meter/id381698089?mt=8

You will have to use your Iphone camera, but it won't count as digital photography :smile:

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh. Someone's double dippin'. :wink:

3. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Now all I need is one for android.

4. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I downloaded this one (and sent along a few bucks to buy the developer a beer) and it works very well.

5. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To tell you the truth..

To tell you the truth, I'm likely switching to Android myself. I'm not diggin' Apple's style of locking up the phone and leaving users little control. Steve Jobs is too much of a control freak.

6. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DamnIt !!!

Now I have to upgrade my phone, it's only for the iPhone 4

7. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    No, it works on my 3GS

The meter is pretty accurate. I haven't used it for slides yet, but for color negative it did quite well :smile:

8. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WTF ???

I wanted to install it yesterday; an incompatiblity message popped up ...
    I'll have to check it out ?

9. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I installed it as it's free, I have the other lightmeter app for my iPhone and is relatively accurate, the new app is close to but not quite the same as the lightmeter app of old. I guess they could be used in a pinch. If one has an idea of what the light is anyway, it's a double check. If one could be made with a zone system dial, color corrected and accurate that would be nice, oh, that's my Pocket Spot!

10. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for posting this. I downloaded the app and it looks reasonably accurate. Having a backup meter on my phone is really handy in case I forget my regular meter or the battery dies. And you can't beat the price.

11. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Barry S. I just downloaded it to my 3GS (in which it works perfectly) and ran a quick comparison test against a Minolta Auto Meter IIIF (which has 3 modes - reflective, incident, and spot), a Gossen Digisix (which has reflective and incident), and my Mamiya 645 with AE prism (which does average and/or spot readings). All readings were taken for ISO 100 against a red brick wall and also an 18% grey card in bright sunlight over a 10 minute period. There was no more than one stop difference between any of them. Some readings said 1/1000 @ f5.6 and some said 1/500 @ f5.6. The meters with multiple modes varied within themselves between modes, but the iPhone meter was consistently 1/500 @ f5.6 against both surfaces. All this indicates to me that the iPhone meter would be OK most of the time, maybe slightly better when using negative film because I had the feeling that it was consistently reading just slightly over the "real" meters. I have previously downloaded two other light meter apps which seemed to vary by up to three stops and are harder to use, so this one gets my thumbs-up.

12. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No wonder the film companies are dropping products left and right! You guys are spending all your money on whiz-bang electronic gizmos, and have none left over for film! :D

13. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My phone is employer-supplied, and the app was free, which leaves maximum available funds for film purchase. My film purchases are limited more by my ability to store it and use it than by shortage of funds. At the moment I am feeling particularly frustrated about my ability to use film because I am pretty well confined to barracks with an outbreak of shingles :sad:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Unfotunately, the only phone I have is fixed to the wall and attached to the exchange by a wire. I don't think this application will work for me!

Steve.

16. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sound nice... but let me know when they make a film back for it...

17. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're a free man!

You're a free man Steve. Mobile phones are ball and chains. The smart phones can also reveal where you are. It's like wearing one of those GPS gadgets for folks under house arrest. The only escape is ditching your Smart phone. Convenience=slavery.

18. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

I would throw my phone away in a hot minute if I could get away with it.

OTOH I *CAN* post this message sitting here without my computer. But it isn't getting me any pictures.

19. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, yeah whatever mate. You'll have to pry my IPhone from my cold dead fingers before I gave that up.

20. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Hmmm, is your telephone color near 18% gray by any chance?

Seriously though, your telephone does not require daily recharging, which my iPhone does :pouty:

21. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I love my Android fone. The OS is based on linux so I know it is going to be rock solid and open. I agree the Apple products are way to buttoned down.

22. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Droids look good to me

My Iphone is full of problems. I have to restore it 3X a month. Yes 3X a month and I'm not kidding. Yep is pretty buttoned up. As I type, I'm restoring my phone. Guess what? You have to be connected to the internet to get permission from the mother ship to restore. It's up to Uncle Steve to allow you to restore or not. If you don't have permission, your Iphone is a stylish brick. I'm sure Droids don't have such controls. I think I'm through with Iphones.

23. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, I know several people with iPhones and none of them have ever had to do a restore. Sounds like the phone itself could be faulty

24. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for telling me

My girlfriend has the iPhone 4 and it works flawlessly. My coworker has the same iPhone 3GS and it works well also. I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue. Anyway it's past the warrenty. I don't want to buy another phone though I'm allowed another $200 subsidie towards another one. I sitting on the fence and waiting to see what is in the horrizon in 6 months. My other coworker has a Droid and the OLED display is sure gorgeous.

25. JeroenRo

JeroenRo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thats a great tip! Lets try this app!

26. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been using this app for a few months now, and it has not let me down yet. For those saying it needs a 'spot' function, it has something very similar, in that you can hold the phone steady with your shot framed, and tap the screen to meter different areas in the frame.
    I also like that it shows readings as EV, Lux, and FootCandles (although I only use EV).