Free Minolta AL!!!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by j-dogg, Sep 9, 2010.

1. j-dogg

j-dogg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Posting from my phone.

I got it free from a customer, glass is sharp just needed a cleanint. Light seals are GONE. The shutter ring and the aperture ring are loose and after some playing around I can get it to change aperture. Shutter works and sounds accurate and the light meter is on par with my Nikkormat.

Where do I get seals and how do I fix the lens? Its a 1:2 45mm rokkor.

2. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found one of these in a secondhand shop in near mint condition with a real brown leather case and a strap with an attached leather accessory case containing a UV filte and the original lens-hood.

Everthing appeared to be working -until I got it home, when the shutter seized up and only worked on 1/1,000sec and "B". However a professional CLA fixed all that and now everything works, even the rangefinder.

For its day, it was quite a remarkable piece of work: eleven shutter speeds from "B" all the way to 1/1,000th and apertures from f2 to f22: no problems with ISO 400 film! :smile:

Since it has a between the lens shutter, this means you have flash synch to 1/1,000 sec: beat that! :tongue:

The lens is f/2 45mm, and very sharp. I generally use hyperfocal distance focusing, unless the subject is closer than about six feet. (This makes it even faster than autofocus :smile:)

It even has a Selenium built in, linked, lightmeter -which still works :D, although I do have to allow an extra stop of exposure for the best results (to my taste).

It is built like a tank (you could drive nails with it), but very easy to use.

For a pic and details check the following link:

http://www.thecamerasite.net/02_Rangefinders/Pages/minoltaal.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  3. OP
    j-dogg

j-dogg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I think I'm keepin this one. I want to shoot it, who does CLA on these things around here?