freestyle, just saying.

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by rphenning, Oct 27, 2009.

1. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I ordered some 4x5 film the other day and got an email from them telling me that the 400nc I ordered was on backorder but that I had credit with them and could either wait for the film to come in or get a substitute. I just emailed them back about 10 minutes ago asking to switch the 400nc to 160nc and I just got an email about 2 minutes ago saying that the switch was done and I should have my film tomorrow. Love that customer service. Any film I need, whether it costs a bit more or not (usually not), I'm gonna be getting from freestyle. Please ignore the syntax and grammatical errors.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I totally agree 100%! Freestyle has THE BEST customer service. Customer service at B&H on the other hand totally sucks! For some things B&H may be a little less expensive but Freestyle is the place.

3. Don Wallace

Don Wallace Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have never dealt with Freestyle (yet) but I get great service from B&H both on the phone and in the store on my yearly visits to NYC. Sure, the guys on the phone might occasionally be a little .. gruff... on the surface, at least to my Canadian sensibilities. But once you get into the conversation, you realize it is mostly just tone of voice and not attitude.

This brings to mind a cartoon I saw some years ago in the New Yorker. The cartoon shows a map of the US with little scene in both Manhattan and Los Angeles. In the Manhattan scene, a guy is shouting "F***K OFF!" which is translated to mean "Have a nice day!" In the Los Angeles scene, a guy is saying "Have a nice day!" which is translated to mean "F**K OFF!"

4. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle has the best customer service! Everything i order is from them. The best photographic supplier there is!

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Freestyle gets all of my money when it comes to supplies. I normally order on Sunday nights, and I have the package by Wednesday, using their cheapest rates.

They are great in person too.

6. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just recieved a package from B&H with some paper. With B&H standard shipping is 1 day to me and with freestyle it is 4-7 days and I wanted this paper for today so I was nervous but I ordered from B&H. Sure enough, you get what you pay for. I got the package on the doorstep and the shipping box appeared in perfect condition. However, the boxes of paper inside were all beat up and looked like they had been opened up and taped shut. I am furious. I called them and they really didn't seem to give a rats @$$. Freestyle is going to get all my orders no matter what. If there is something I need they don't have (this doesn't happen often) I will find another place, but certainly not B&H.

7. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't order from NY anymore more just because of the time it takes to get things to me in NM, and because of the really bad customer service. Never really had a problem with B&H but Adorama is awful.

8. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like Freestyle for the service as well as their efforts in making available materials that the big retailers don't want to be bothered with. I am very thankful for their effort in making Ilfochrome chemistry available.

9. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    While we are all praising Freestyle, let me mention Arista Premium and EDU.Ultra films. The opportunity to buy quality 4x5 film at .52 a sheet and Tri-X at 2.29 per roll is pretty serious. I save enough money due to the availability of these great films that the occasional slightly higher prices Freestyle may have, still more than average out, plus of course the great customer service.

10. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I stocked up from Freestyle this past year and I have been nothing but satisfied with the service and support I have received from them.

I would suggest them to anyone looking for a new source for photographic supplies hands down.

That being said, I am going to turn my support locally this year. At the increased cost, I want Cameras Etc. of Newark to be there for me (with the darkroom chemisrty on the showroom floor) when I need them in the future and the best way I see to do that is with good old-fashioned MOO-LAH.

11. AlexG

AlexG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I completely agree with all the statements above.

Before I left on a trip to Japan this year, I had ordered a large order of film and they ran out of Fuji 400H 2 days before I was scheduled to leave. They managed to get a bulk shipment of this film in the day before I was going to leave, and they overnighted the film to me via FedEx immediately. The film made it just in time!

I will defiantly use them more often!

12. asp.artist

asp.artist Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I agree about Freestyle. But, I also want to put in a good word for Adorama. I've bought everything from large format printers to used 8x10 film holders. And when there was a problem, it was quickly rectified to my satisfaction. For local shopping I give all my business to Webbcam, for all the interesting pieces we always need (enlarger, tripod parts, straps, batteries, and darkroom supplies, advice). But Freestyle and film are a great deal!

13. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This year, setting up my Wista kit, I've ordered stuff from MPEX, B&H and Freestyle, and Photobackpacker (all international orders, mind you), and had perfect service from them all (rapid replies to emails, fast shipping, items as described). Same as Adorama in previous years. I'm very happy that these companies exist at all with the good range of film friendly things they have, and willingness to ship beyond national boundaries!!

Marc

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had good luck with Adorama Ebay auctions.

Mike

16. mbsmith

mbsmith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Most of my major film purchases go to Freestyle who has always been great in all situations.

Adorama, in my experience, has been rubbish. I frequently find cheaper prices through them, but will gladly pay more elsewhere for better service.

Unfortunately, my local shops seems more interested in selling flash cards and picture frames rather than providing any kind of decent photo finishing service. But I still try to buy chemicals through them when available in hopes that they will continue to stock these items. :rolleyes:

17. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree Freestyle are great. After I placed my last order online I realized I had forgotten to include some small item. I called their customer service the next morning and the lady told me she was having computer problems but would write down the addition to my order and be sure it got added. Sure enough the thing I aksed for was included when the package arrived.

But, in fairness to Adorama. I have found them to be very good also.
    Many times they have the best prices. My last order, 3 16x20 Paterson Trays for < $40, Fuji Acros in 120 for 2.69 a roll which is the best price I have found. And what I like is their incremental shipping costs as you add items is the best. A huge box with the 16x20 trays and 20 rolls of film in a few days for < $10 shipping, can't be bad.

18. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been buying from Freestyle since the 1970s, I ran across their ad in a Popular Photography magazine, they have never flubbed an order. I first bought some stuff call "Adox" and "Orwo"!

19. Les Myers

Les Myers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle addendum

I agree with the comments about Freestyle. I started ordering from them in the early 1960's(!). I do have to plan some lead time for receiving orders here in Maine. Five days is usually the minimum shipping time unless I pay bigger bucks. Except for their 120 EDU film, which I find disappointing in handling (curl) and image richness (compared to Fuji or Ilford), Freestyle does a fine, aggressive job is keeping us film folks supplied and happy.

Les in Maine

20. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Freestyle is great. B&H is too. I can put an order in at B&W around lunch and it will be delivered to my work at noon the next day - with the slowest shipping. Granted, it's because I'm in Philly. I've never had a problem with either of them. Always packed well, affordable, and the sales staff are helpful.

21. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I order from B&H normally, simply because I'm on the east coast. I order from Freestyle for things that B&H won't ship (Rodinal, Viradon) or for things that B&H doesn't carry (some papers). Both are great suppliers with excellent customer service.

22. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    yeah, Freestyle is like a...well, a very good thing!

I don't even look anywhere else when shopping for film, paper & chemistry anymore. They have lots of other necessarys too...Domke straps, film holders, etc....

23. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I placed an order with Freestyle last Wednesday night & it arrived on Tuesday morning. That's less than a week from Los Angeles to Sydney & it was a heavy box with some big boxes of paper, file boxes etc. I suppose I should also be thanful to the post service. With the strong Aussie dollar we can get supplies from the USA at around half up to 70% of the local price. Anyway, Freestyle are good to deal with.

24. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What delivery service did you spec, I ordered some stuff and they shipped on the 23-1-09. Maybe I get it sooner then thought.

25. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Priority mail. That's the cheaper option.
    I've bought from them a dozen or so times, delivery time is generally around 7 days. 5 days this time was impressive.

26. HelenOster

HelenOster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mixed feedback for Adorama....well, I guess it's only to be expected. It can take just one incident or a single member of staff to mess up so badly that with the great range of alternative options available, customers simply go elsewhere.

I'd like to find out more about your poor experiences. I appreciate that I can't undo whatever was done badly or thoughtlessly in the past - I can, however, look at what went wrong (and why), to help us to improve what we do in the future. If you have a chance, I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com,

Thanks for the feedback which is very much appreciated; it shows that we can get it right - we have to look at ways of ensuring that we are more consistent.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009