Freestyle Photo - Ordering Film from Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by munz6869, Jan 20, 2010.

1. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just ordered moreorless my year's supply of film from Freestyle (Vanbar doesn't stock Plus-X in 120, and Tri-X in 4x5" is of normal Australian expensiveness there)...

Anyway, I typed in my order on Friday, and it arrived today!!!! That's only FIVE days from California to Melbourne!! They are very good. My only concern is that the Plus-X was all dated October this year - which doesn't bode well for future production (paranoid)

Credit where it's due, hey!

Marc

2. AmandaTom

AmandaTom Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am in California myself and I think your order got to you faster than mine did.

3. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Refrigeration is your friend

4. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Marc, depending when on Friday you typed your order, it could have been late Thursday afternoon or Friday over there.

I get materials for business from the USA, orders are nearly always sent on Friday around lunch time here, which means they get to work over there on Friday morning and then have the entire day to dispatch my order.

Orders usually get here on either Tuesday or Wednesday, if air freighted. Yes it is a good deal, especially as they also have to go through customs and whatnot.

Mick.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
  5. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wouldn't worry to much about the expiry date. I have found them to be a bit on the conservative side. Do you keep your film in the freezer?

6. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have also found them to be great, got a supply of Gallerie and Emaks, came really quickly and the cost is very reasonable with the Aussie dollar as high as it is.

7. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's all in the Fridge now (I'm restricted to one shelf only!!) - my chief worry isn't so much the longevity of the Plus-X, as much as the fact that that batch is still being sold, which may mean they're not selling much, or are running out old stock - aaargh, I already lost APX100, and don't want to see another fave emulsion go!!!

Oddly though, the stuff I ordered this time last year is a year newer (expiry 2011).

In any case, Freestyle are very efficient indeed, and the Australian dollar makes every US purchase very tolerable.

Marc

8. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've shot quite a fair chunk of 20 year old Plus-X and processed it in reversal - its got legs...