Freestyle's new low Holga prices

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by Silverhead, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I was in Freestyle the other day and they mentioned that they've lowered the prices on a bunch of their Holgas. Apparently there are new models coming down the pike :smile: and they need to clear out some of their existing inventory. They said they just recently posted a page to this effect on their web site, and lo and behold here it is:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/holga-lower-prices.php?sc=22007

Here are some more Holgas they reduced the price on that aren't at that last link:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/holgawood_commando.php
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/holgawood_jawz.php
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/holgawood_oscar.php
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/holgawood_sunset_blvd.php
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/holgawood_yellow_brick_road.php

Some of these new prices are pretty damned good. I see some plastic stocking-stuffers in the near future...

2. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That stereo holga for $30 looks kinda cool. but then again I could never live with myself if I paid $30 for a holga LOL

3. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That might make a sweet gift for someone to explore photography without the $ commitment a "real" camera + lenses would entail. Yeah I know, it's the whole skinny jeans scene, but we want to cultivate new users, yes? The first dime bag should always be free (or thirty dollars, whichever comes first). :laugh:

s-a

4. Christopher Colley

Christopher Colley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i got my holga for $12 from adorama long ago.... maybe 2004ish ?

i cant really think of any reason for them to be more expensive than that...

5. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sales="No sales" in retail. They're over-priced hipster bait the hipsters can't afford. Here in Toronto, Holga starter kits go for $70. Who'd buy that when you can get something like Nikon FG+50/1.8E for around the same money?

6. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While this is all well and good, as someone who lives in Canada, I would much more prefer better (read cheaper) shipping options. BH kills them in this regard.

7. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe because FGs aren't hip for some. Hipsters around here have no problem buying Holgas. They're so much cheaper than iPods, which the hipsters also have no problem buying. Of course, being hip by design does not mean being clued in, and if you wear your hip-ness as a transient persona then you're probably not interested in long term financial value. (Much better to be hip by accident, and after the fact.) Now, if even one of those hipsters migrates to your FG and sticks with it, it's a win for me. Not because it's a more valid hip-ness but because I'm a big believer in examining your own being in this world through photographs. The smell of fixer and bad Dektol can only add to it.:smile:

E. R. Murrow: "What does it mean to be 'cool'?"
    D. Gillespie: "If you have to ask, you ain't."

s-old, but not by accident-a

8. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because they want images that a Holga makes, that an FG can't.

9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Holga/Diana "look" is so easily duplicated in post-processing. Why blow the money?

10. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What constantly amazes me on this site is the intolerance toward toycamera "Holga & Diana" users. I admit I bought a Holga, Diana+,an original Diana and other assorted Plastic cameras because I like the pictures they give and the freedom from technical details like setting shutter speeds etc I get. People constantly complain on this site about the intolerance of digi user towards film users, but are themselves intolerant towards other subgroups of Filmusers. The Lomographic Society and their prices are way too high and 70$ for a Holgaset is highway robbery but I am all for promoting film.

Dominik

11. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If, by post-processing, you're referring to PS, a lot of us don't do that in our work flow.
    Another reason I enjoy shooting Holgas and Dianas is the freedom I get from the lack of controls. It's so different from when I shoot my 4x5, or 8x10. There's nothing "technical" between me and the image in the frame. I have about a dozen Holgas/Dianas. Each has it's own little quirks, which adds to the uncertainty of what will appear on the film/print. I've had mine since the 1970's and 80's, so I don't think I've ever spent more than 5-6 bucks on one, but don't think spending $20-30 on an image making device is blowing money.
    There are some incredible Holga/Diana images in the Gallery. You should take a look before dismissing them.

12. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Look, I like toy/low-fi cameras as a means to an end, not an end in themselves. Lomography is branding, nothing more. Did Nikon or Canon ever pitch their own film brands as uniquely suited to their cameras? I just bought some dollar store Kodak disposable flash cameras for fun--2 bucks each, less than the cost of the 24 exp ISO800 film inside.

13. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not young anymore but I do like to use my Holgas. My Holga photos usually receive more comments than my 'traditional' b&w photos. I'm also going to buy some more Holgas, like the new 6x12 panorama Holga. I don't mind putting down €70 for it. I just wish I'd have an enlarger big enough for 6x12 negs.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All cameras are just a means to an end (the print), so I'm not sure what you mean by your statement.

16. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "Lomography" is a closed system with supposedly unique "lifestyle" component. Yikes!

Doubtful? Have a look here:

http://canada.shop.lomography.com/about-us

17. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you had a chance to check out the Lomo store on Queen St W yet CGW ? Appropriate that it's on a stretch of Queen that's just beginning to trendify (to my disappointment). Losing it's 'feel' and becoming like all other touron destinations :wink:

18. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're referring to the marketing of the cameras, which has nothing to do with making images with them.

19. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How and to whom are they pitched? Hereabouts, it's pretty obvious that it's more about fashion statement than photography. For you and others here I kinda think it's the photography that matters more, not the lifestyle prop crap.

20. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yup. Enjoyed a great overheard pitch that this stuff (http://www.silvanoimaging.com/LomoFilms.html) was really what worked best in the cameras with a slight hint that other film wouldn't quite do.

21. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    CGW I fully agree with your view of the Lomographic society but one shouldn't always trow the Toy camera movement, that started over 20 years before my compatriots founded their marketing gag, in with the society and it's mindless vision. Holgas acutally came very late to the Lomographic society's attention.

Dominik

22. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think we're in too much disagreement. When I first bought a Diana, they were in Woolworth's for about a dollar. Never heard of Lomo, back then. As for the "lifestyle/fashion" aspect, that can be true of any camera. I've seen Leicas and Rolleiflexes serving as fashion statements... I, too, find the marketing (especially of Lomo film) absurd. But the marketing has nothing to do with what you can accomplish with the cameras. They are merely tools, which can deliver marvelous images. You really should take a look at some of the stuff posted in the Gallery.

23. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well-acquainted with the results. Hard core film shooters take 'em for what they are. It's the fashion victim/trendoid/hipster crew that buys them, shoots a few rolls, discovers that film and processing/printing aren't so cheap, bores their friends with small prints, then quits and goes back to their iPhone and Hipstamatic app. The novelty dies quickly.

24. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps we should form a group to help liberate Holgas from the grips of Lomo, I'd be down with that and imo, plastic should be like early Fords, available in whatever colour you want , as long as it's black lol

btw, if you want insane vignetting, get the wide angle attachment=crazy four corners dark

25. one90guy

one90guy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do not own a Holga, but I get similar results with a old Nikon Fm-10, Cokin filters, and PS sometimes. Also I am to old for hip, but my hips do hurt a lot, will that count:^)

David

26. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    one90guy If you believe that the unsharpness of the Holga and Diana are their only redeeming quality you're very wrong. Their simplicity (of course possible with AE, Brain still has to be used for composition), their super light weight (good for your hip) and their instant special rendering [(no ps monkeying and filter necessary)(not only unsharp, but also unique for each camera)] are the reasons that I use and bought them (not from the Lomographic society though) for around €10 each.

For the record I absolutely dislike the Lomographic society and what it stands for, Toycamera Images require the use of Brain and not Brainlessnes like the society proclaims.

Dominik