Freezing Film When You Do Not Have the Time to Process Immediately

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by BradleyK, Feb 17, 2012.

1. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A quick question for our older and experienced shooters: How long can exposed film be frozen without the images suffering the risk of degradation? The reason I ask? About a week after Dwayne's ended K-14 processing, I found two rolls of KL in the bottom of my freezer. I am debating whether to leave them be and wait a bit to see if hand processing becomes feasible or whether to just go ahead and try my hand at processing the two as black and white images.

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I never freeze film. I keep a quantity of colour film in the fridge, but don't bother for black & white film. However, I live in England.

3. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The probability of a non-Kodak Kodachrome development process being introduced is rather remote.

How a long a latent image may be viable on a particular emulsion is quite variable. I recently processed some test rolls of Fuji Acros that I exposed several years ago, and the image was absolutely fine. Another fellow had horrible problems with Ilford Pan-F, with the images having faded almost completely away. As it turns out, Pan-F must be processed ASAP, and it's a known problem with the emulsion.

Very probably your film is fine.

4. jbwpro

jbwpro Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have on many many occasions accidentally and out of being broke left e6, c41, and BW film in the freezer with exposed but unprocessed images on the rolls- the longest being over a year. this one (from my wedding) fell and wasn't found for over 18 months sitting in the back of the freezer and then I processed it normally and besides some extra grain, the roll was all good. 30210017.jpg I am highly doubting that processing will come available for Kodachrome film again...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
  5. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Who's Kodachrome?"
    "Kodachrome's dead baby...."
    (With apologies to Tarantino)

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I store my film in the freezer, until I load it.

If I do not have enough exposed color negative film to make it worth mixing up the chemicals, I will refrigerate the exposed film until I have enough. I have done that for periods of months, not years.

7. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been wondering the same thing, I'm pretty broke right now and most of my film is 6-8 months from exposure.

A couple rolls are over 20 years old but were freezer kept prior to exposure 4 months ago and from my past experience they should be fine.

8. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Develop or have it done as black and white. I agree - the odds of EVER being able to process this film as color are extremely remote.

9. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recall having read instructions from Kodak never to freeze film, but only to refrigerate it. I have never seen a professional shop that kept film in a freezer.

10. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ..."storage in a refrigerator or freezer can be highly beneficial", but blah blah disclaimer use by the "use by" date...

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/e30/e30.pdf

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can you say what evidence there is for this. I don't recall any mention of this "defect" in Ilford literature or seeing it as a general conclusion by Pan-F users on APUG or other sites

Any idea what is different about Pan-F to give it this alleged problem? I say alleged not to be provocative but simply because on any forum, Pan-F and Ilford should remain innocent until proven guilty.

pentaxuser