Fresh Forte 400 70mm rolls

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by claytume, Nov 1, 2005.

1. claytume

claytume Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I've just landed 14 x 100 foot rolls. It took 2 years for these to come which I'm sure has a lot to do with Forte's financial problems and the stop start nature of their production. I'm told by my supplier that they can get anything now but who knows for how long.

If anyone in the future wants to be included in a group purchase let me know.

Clayton

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2005
  2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This belongs in the classified section of the website.

Dave

3. claytume

claytume Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Yes Dave, you're probably right.

My point to the post was not to advertise something for sale but to say Forte are shipping, you can get custom orders cut and maybe a group purchase can keep these things going. 400 speed 70mm of any type hasn't been on the shelves for a few years now and I didn't think it would ever be available again.

I'm happy if the moderators delete the thread all together, I don't mind keeping the film but I thought it was a chance to help others out.

cheers
    Clayton

4. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Clay any chance this is perforated film? I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a 70mm back for my MF camera. Problem is it takes perforated film and nobody seems to make that anymore.

5. claytume

claytume Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Yes Nick..........it is perfed but I don't know what type. Is there some info on the web somewhere that lists hole size and spacing?

Clayton

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think there might be on the 70mm faq. I'll try and find it. A source for perforated 70mm would make all those MF 70mm backs worth something.

7. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't find any suggestion on the difference. But it seems MF cameras used Type II.

9. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay. Seems Type I is only perforated on one edge. Type II on both. If it's Type II then that would make all those MF backs worth something.

10. claytume

claytume Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Sorry Nick.......looks like I've wasted your time.

I opened some of the film today to check the perfs and it isn't!

My supplier when he received them thought they were perfed because that's what the labels say. He called me to ask if perfed would be ok because I ordered unperfed. I said yes, no problem.

Now I open them and find I do have what I asked for but it doesn't help Nick or any others looking for perfed.

What i will say though is that it's likely Forte will custom cut perfed if that's what you want but expect a minimum order

sorry about that

Clayton

11. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What can you do. Just no point buying one of those MF backs without perforated film.

Agfa of all people still seems to be making 70mm film. The colour seems to be a normal product if I could only find somebody that sold it.

12. claytume

claytume Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Simple.........ask Forte to make it.....that's all I did.

Clayton

13. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How big was the order they required? I'm going to guess it would be too much for just me. Bigger issues is I got the impression it took awhile? I'm supposed to be moving in the next 9+ months. I'm trying to avoid any long term commitments.

14. r-s

r-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There used to be a guy on ebay who sold kits to convert Hasselblad backs to use unperf'd 70mm film. He replaced sprockets with rubber wheels.

Another use for the unperf'd film is to reload 116 and 616 rollfilm. One good reason to save your spools and paper backing. Speaking of which, does anyone know of any supplier of "bulk" backing paper?

15. fatboy22

fatboy22 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Clayton,

I would be interested in 400 speed 70mm. I have had a lot of trouble locating 70mm B&W. My 70mm backs can use perforated or unperforated (RH-50). Who is your connection at Forte and how do you order directly from them?

Jamie

16. claytume

claytume Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Nick the min quantity was 15 rolls but somehow I ended up with only 14. Yes time to get the stuff was a problem...........3 or 4 years ago I ordered some custom cut 8" wide rolls for my Cirkut camera. Every 6 months or so I kept reminding my supplier about it, they were doing their part is was Forte draggin the chain. In the end I gave up and tried for 70mm instead which I eventually got.

I think the main reason for the delays was the turmoi the film and paper manufacturers were going through at the time. I had other 70mm B&W films at the time so wasn't too concerned waiting it out.

Claytonl

17. claytume

claytume Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Jamie

I ran out of 400 years ago and couldn't get any more which is why I went for an order through Forte. I'm in New Zealand and used the local agent, I don't know who it is in the US.

I'm willing to sell a couple of rolls as I don't need the lot. Price is my cost plus freight, PM me for details.

Clayton

18. fatboy22

fatboy22 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would great Clayton. I sent you an email with my address to see how much shipping would be.