Freshly developed HP5+ sleeves gave scratches

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by rayonline_nz, Aug 30, 2013.

1. rayonline_nz

rayonline_nz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, any recommendations? The negs were prestine, I don't use a squeege, instead a spray bottle of water/photoflo when it is hung up. Put into plastic sleeves and some light scratches ...

2. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Happens sometimes if there is dust/grit/dirt on the film or in the sleeves. An alternative is to use fold lock type sleeves (I use the Polyester ones from Archival Methods) so there is no sliding action. Archival Methods also makes Polypropylene versions which are a little less stiff but less expensive and offer the same archival qualities.

3. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How long did you wait before putting the film in the sleeves? Film should dry for several hours usually people leave it overnight. Even though it may appear dry the emulsion remains soft for a period of time.

Plastic sleeves tend to hold a static charge which can cause problems. Glassine sleeves do not have this problem.

4. presspass

presspass Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you use hardener in your fixer? I know many don't recommend it any more, but it does help with these problems. There are also staining developers that harden the emulsion.

5. rayonline_nz

rayonline_nz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could buy from B&H,and use NZPost's "Youshop" to send on. I was quoted NZ$26.75 for a 1.5 kg box,which seems reasonable to me.

7. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I buy all my polyester folk flap sleeves from print file and use their ultima pages to keep them ordered as the ultima pages the polyester sleeves in them.