Fresnel Lens For Busch

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by zemzem, Aug 8, 2006.

1. zemzem

zemzem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Busch Pressman D and was wondering if anyone has ever put a fresnel in front of the glass? I've seen the super thin ones on Ebay and was curious. Thanks

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Put it behind the glass (not between the glass and the lens), and you should be fine. If you put it in front of the glass, you'll shift the plane of focus.

3. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

The problem is that there'e not enough thickness for a ground glass and a Fresnel. I skirted the problem by using a Linhof Superscreen which is an everything-n-one piece of moulded plastic, but there's no glass protecting it.

4. stompyq

stompyq Subscriber

Hey wait! I thought it needs to be b/w the gg and the lens. Thats what the ebay fresnel instructions say. Amybody has any of these. I was almost sold on one before i saw this post. Does it make a difference if it's b/w the lens and gg or after the gg? I'd rather not scartch the thin fresnel.

5. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I went to Edmund Scientific's website and got a cheap 11" x 11" fresnel and use it for composing (behind the GG), then remove it and focus with just the groundglass. Not as good as one of the purpose-made ones, but works well, and is much cheaper.

6. zemzem

zemzem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thannks for the advice. Is $150 the usual going price for a Superscreen with grid? The ebay lives just up the road from me, but he'll only deal via ebay so the Linhof idea looks like the way to go. Thanks.