Friendly LF suggestion #132

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by David A. Goldfarb, Oct 2, 2005.

1. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So, if you use Post-it notes to keep track of exposures, remember to remove them before inserting the filmholder in the camera, or they will get caught on the light trap as the darkslide is removed from the holder, leaving the mysterious shadow of a Post-it note on the negative. Fortunately, this problem may be quickly diagnosed before another sheet is ruined by checking the filmholder after removing the film, and removing the errant sticky note.

The likelihood of this problem increases geometrically with the size and cost of the film, of course.

Just a friendly suggestion.

grrrrr.......

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I sympathize with your pain David ... been there, done that myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2005
  3. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, thank you this is one I hadn't thought of yet. Of course with my luck I'll do it the next time I'm out shooting. I'm constantly amazed by all the opportunities to screw up with large format, it looks so simple.

Richard

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's one I haven't done myself. But I'll just add that blueberry jam and emulsion is not a good combination...

5. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    David,

You did not actually do that, did you?

Please say no.

Sandy

6. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I even managed to do it with one of my fine S&S 11x14" filmholders. Fortunately, I did make a backup neg, which I don't often do, but I was planning to process the two different negs for two different density ranges in this case, so I have a second one. When I saw this strange rectangle on one edge of the neg I started trying to figure out what came loose in the camera, but it wasn't on any of the other negs I made, so I checked the filmholder, and sure enough, there was the sticky.

7. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Neither is honey on the dark slide.

Mike

8. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've found that it helps to take the post-it-notes off the darkslides before going into the dark to unload the holders too. Otherwise, there is a slight chance of getting a post-it-note in the dev tank with the film....

9. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The experiences of the veteran are not lost on the exuberant neophite...many thanks for sharing them with us...er, um,..me... :wink:

10. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure we should thank David for this. Now that Murphy knows that we know, doesn't that increase the chances of it happening to the rest of us?

11. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Along similar lines, I've found with Efke films it is better to remove the interleaving sheets before shooting the picture. While a post-it note is effective as a mask for the portion of the sheet to which it is attached, the full sheet with interleaving is better still. tim

P.S. No, I used this approach at two different times and not on the same shot.

12. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I'm glad I stopped using tape flags to mark my holders. I just write down what type of film is in what holders after I finish loading.

13. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Blunders notwithstanding, I like Post-its, because they can follow the sheet after it leaves the holder to the lab order for work that goes out to the lab (which would just be E-6 in my case), and to the neg/transparency sleeve. If I'm traveling, though, it's usually easier to manage a notebook.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I tried using Post-It notes on my film holders. After one long, hot, and humid trip, I got back to the darkroom and found all my Post-It notes in the bottom of my holder bag - big @##$@ help!

Now I carry a bunch of elastic bands and a cheap notebook with rip-out pages.

Hadn't tried exposing the Post-It note . . . maybe if coated with AgPlus . . . :wink:

16. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am confused. If blueberry jam and honey is not good for tasteful photos then what is?

17. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have started to use plastic baggies to hold the film holders after I load them with film and until I develop the film. I just fill out a 3x5 card and drop it in the bag and seal it up until I am ready to develop the film. I save the cards in a card file box. I record the film file number on the clear edge of the film and also on the 3x5 card. Thanks to AllenR for the idea as I was just not smart enough to think of this.

lee\c

18. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Blueberry jam is nice, but not on the emulsion side. I used it to stick a sheet of 30x40cm technical film to the glass plate in the holder, but put the film backside out. Something strange happened where the emulsion came into contact with the jam...

19. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ole, I am still trying to figure this out...

The way you write this, had you only put the film in correctly, all would have been fine. Like perhaps the jam is a necessary part of the holder! What the heck was the jam doing in your holder in the first place! :D I can't come up with a good reason for this! LOL

20. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I guess if blueberry jam and honey is not good on the emulsion side then they are of very limited use as filters. So reading between the lines here I should do my smear before inserting it in the SFH.

21. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, blueberry is much better than raspberry, because it doesn't have as many seeds, and the peels in the orange marmelade can change the registration distance, requiring the groundglass to be shimmed with orange peels.

22. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, now I get it, you were using blueberry jam as an adhesive! :surprised: :rolleyes:

I am now ashamed of my Norwegian ancestry. :wink:

23. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know what the big deal is about sticky notes on film holders. I use masking tape tags on mine, then transfer them from the holder to the developing tube when I unload, so the tube has (on the outside, where I can read it -- these are daylight fill) a record of what the exposure was.

Oh, wait...

My holders are single sided, so I don't have to put anything on the dark slide...

24. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening,

Donald has the right idea--pieces of masking tape at hand (stuck to the tripod) and a Sharpie marking pen to record the data. Stick the tape on the dark slide after the exposure is made and the holder is removed from the camera; remove and discard the tape when it's no longer needed.

Konical

25. Jim_in_Kyiv

Jim_in_Kyiv Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    My guess - less than before. However, if you sniff carefully, you can smell the gears burning as he thinks up with something else.

My latest trick? - 9x12 film loaded into a 4x5 holder, which was used, of course, for a shot where the camera was pointed down. Exposed the first sheet, saw that the film was on the wrong side of the darkslide after I put it back in, said to myself, "Self, this couldn't happen twice." Whereupon it did. Took out the new-fangled non-film thing to take a shot so I would remember what I wanted to do. Left the card at home in the reader.

26. Graeme Hird

Graeme Hird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've had a film jam before - it always leaves a nasty taste. I much prefer the blueberry or rasberry varieties. :smile:

A friendly tip from me: before loading new film into a holder, always open the holder half a centimetre or so and check that the holder is indeed empty. If you pull the slide all the way out in one go, you won't be able to salvage anything from the well exposed sheet already residing in the holder .....