Frisco Photography Galleries

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by zonesys, May 20, 2005.

1. zonesys

zonesys Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I'm a french photographer and I shall visit San Francisco this summer (July). As I intend to visit photography exhibitions (and may be to buy photographs), I'm looking for Photography galleries in Frisco. Does anyone could advise me some and provide address ?
    Thank you

zonesys

2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know them all. When you get here if it is later in the month of July, I can personally show you around. Either that or If I am still in Santa Fe at that time, I will send you a map of where to find the galleries.

3. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I might suggest that you not call it "Frisco" once you get here. Best to refer to it simplty as "The City". :smile:

4. zonesys

zonesys Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Aggie

Thank you for your kind proposal. I shall be in "The City" between July 27th and 30th...
    zone sys

5. zonesys

zonesys Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello GaussianNoise,

Thank you for your advice. Anything else about gallery address or contact in "The City" ?
    zonesys

6. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi zonesys,
    The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (see the web site:http://www.sfmoma.org) is the only museum that I have actually visited in SF. It has several photography exibits and always seems to have a few travelling exibits as well. Highly recommended. Get there EARLY and wear comfortable shoes. Oh, and if I remember correctly, they are kinda funny about patrons carrying cameras / taking photos of the art on display. I believe that photgraphy is not allowed - even if sans flash.

I would also very strongly recommend a visit to the Oakland Museum of California which is just across the bay. It houses a wonderful collection of Dorthea Lang's work. For more information, see the web site: http://www.museumca.org/global/art/collections_dorothea_lange.html. If my schedule permits, I would love to accompany you and Aggie to the Oakland Museum.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2005
  7. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will be in town during those dates, sounds like a plan to hit them. I also know that Fort Mason has a small gallery, there are several near on or near Market street and union square area, I can walk right to them just don't know their names. Some times the Place of fine arts has a photography display. Going out further than the City or Oakland, I highly reccomend hitting the Mumm Winery in Napa. They have a wonderful gallery, and a permenant rotating gallery of at least 40 of Ansel Adams orginal prints.