From "rail" to "field".........

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by CPorter, Oct 31, 2012.

1. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm looking to switch from my Horseman monorail to a field camera. I have only two lenses, a Rodenstock 210 and a Nikon 120SW, the Nikon has a very large rear element (total diameter is 3 1/8 inches)....is there a concern with the Nikon lens as to what field camera will be able to accomodate it? Guess I'm trying to get an idea of what field cameras not to even consider to kinda speed the search up.

thanks
    Chuck

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Toyo 45A opening measures 3.5"

3. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It'll fit a Toyo (110mm) board+camera (45A*) no problems. Linhof are I think 99mm square but you lose probably 20mm to the front standard that supports the lensboard, so it might not fit on a Linhof-compatible camera.

More important than the lensboard size is the opening in the front standard. That differs from camera-model to camera-model though they might share a common lensboard size.

4. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is more what I am referring to................

5. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Nikkor 120SW on a Technika board and this is the largest lens I have that fits through the hole in the lens board of my Wista 810. Since the hole in the lens board is the same on smaller cameras I it shouldn't be a problem. I am more concerned about the weight of the lens and thsi is the reason I don't use it on any of my 4x5 field cameras (and I cannot really use the large image circle on a field camera).
    You should be alright with any camera using Technika boards (just).

6. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, I have been looking at the 45A, that seems to be one of the most available on ebay, I also like the 45AX, but have not seen one yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2012
  7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The front standard of a Linhof Technika can accommodate a rear cell with a diameter of 82mm. Larger is possible, but you have to mount the lensboard without the rear cell, remove the back of the camera (it slides off easily), and screw it in from behind, which I wouldn't want to do as a matter of course.

8. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks.........me neither.