from san luis obispo

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by gflanslo, Jul 30, 2008.

1. gflanslo

gflanslo Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've been lurking around here for a little while so I figured it was time to introduce myself. I'm also a member of the large format photography forum but I like the sections on development and processing on apug.

I shot 4x5, medium, and 35mm. My 4x5 is getting more work then my other cameras since I've been into selective focus lately.

I live in san luis obispo where I'm studying computer science at Cal Poly.

I created a website a month ago to show some of my work. Any feedback on images or website is appreciated.
    http://www.gregoryflanagan.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  2. Don Wallace

Don Wallace Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I love your website - very simple and straightforward, but also well done aesthetically. Unfortunately, the url you posted was concatenated to something else (folks should go to http://www.gregoryflanagan.com). Your abstractions are my favourite and some of them are truly stunning. Selective focus I guess I just don't get so I will leave that for others to comment. In any case, welcome to APUG.

3. gflanslo

gflanslo Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Don - Thanks for the feedback and the correction on the url!! I hadn't noticed it was corrupted. I've edited my original post to reflect the correct url.

4. Jose A Martinez

Jose A Martinez Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, like Don, I love your abstracts, and about the selective focus you put the amster to run in my head.

5. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow. You don't see color field studies from photographers very often. Nice stuff. Welcome to APUG.

6. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from the Canadian prairies!

7. gflanslo

gflanslo Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    thanks for the compliments. The color series was shot on a single roll of E100G. The top row were all synthetic - usually painted - objects while the bottom row were organic objects.

8. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gregory - welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. Cool abstracts!

gene

9. gflanslo

gflanslo Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would like to divide my work up into several collections. Collection no. 1 currently is used as the default for all my work but I would like to eventually create several more based on concepts. Right now I think about an abstract collection, selective focus collection, and an other. Any ideas, suggestions, or criticisms on how to organize and make this more coherent are appreciated.

10. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi and welcome. I tried to check out your site but, all I see is a black box on a grey background?

11. gflanslo

gflanslo Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Brad - I'm not sure what is going on. What browser are you using? I've been successful getting the page severed on two different machines today. I appreciate the heads up and let me know if you continue to have problems with my site as others might be having the same problem.

12. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great site. Some of those shots looked like miniatures. I'm just getting started 4x5. Were they or was that UBER-selective focus? Thanks for the site and welcome to the group.

13. gflanslo

gflanslo Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The miniature look was accomplished using selective focus. Everything on my site is 'real' no miniatures and no ps. I mostly use rear standard movements to get this look although front tilt comes in handy quite often. Thanks for looking and the compliment.

14. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Running firefox on (redhat enterprise) linux.

I looked again. it seemlike it want some kinda flash player plugin or some such. I don't do flash. Sorry.

15. gflanslo

gflanslo Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Brad - I thought this might happen. My 1st iteration was done with php and javascript but it just looks slicker with flash. I should probably prompt the user if he/she wants to view the flash or non-flash site. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know when a non-flash version is up....if you are interested at all.

As a side note - do you use the gimp or have you tried using photoshop under wine? My slower computer runs debian while my faster one runs windows so I can run photoshop. I'd like to try photoshop under wine but I'm reluctant and don't want to install linux just to revert back to win.