FS: 3 11x14 darkslides, NOS

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by c.d.ewen, Jun 14, 2010.

1. c.d.ewen

c.d.ewen Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Came across these while looking for something else: three Burke & James 11x14 darkslides. Looks like New Old Stock, i.e., never used and in perfect condition. No scrapes or wear marks, let alone cracks. The slide material is Garolite-like, and the end handles are wood.

The slides measure 11 15/32" by 15 1/2" to the longest point and 15 5/16" to the center scallop.

Beats me what they're worth, so I'll put them up for $40 apiece plus actual shipping, and drop them incrementally over the week. Paypal's OK, but never preferred.

Feel free to make me an offer, as that will put you first in line if I drop the price to your neighborhood.

Charley

2. c.d.ewen

c.d.ewen Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    OK, either my price is too high, or the right people have not seen this ad.

Let's try a price of $35 apiece, plus actual shipping, and see what happens.

Charley

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am confused as to what they are. Are they the slides only, or the whole film holders?

If the slides only, perhaps no one is biting because the price is way too high for an item that has almost no possible use.

If they are the whole holders, no one is biting because everyone is dumb!

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Those dimensions match my S&S holders (I think, if I'm understanding the description correctly), but not my Hoffmans, which are longer and narrower.

I'll offer $25 plus shipping for one of them to cut down to a 5.5x14" pano mask.

5. c.d.ewen

c.d.ewen Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Darkslides is darkslides and film holders is film holders.

These are darkslides only, ergo the posting of dimensions. I bet there's somebody out there in need of an 11x14 darkslide to make a film holder usable.

As to price, well, I've got no idea of their value, so I threw out a number I suspected was high, with the intention of lowering it gradually. Heaven forbid I ask everyone to just make me an offer!

Dave: $25 sounds like a fine price. I'll PM you. I've got to make a trip to B&H, so maybe we can work something out to save the shipping.

Pending further developments, there are now two (2) darkslides available for a price of $35 + shipping.

Charley

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...and people are idiots. :D I am joking, but what I mean is that sometimes (often, even) people don't know exactly how to describe what they are selling properly, "ergo" the question as to what they are. The asking price also put the idea into my mind that you might be selling the full holders, and erroneously calling them darkslides.

7. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Brits generally call filmholders "double darkslides" and sometimes just "darkslides," and there's probably some even more obscure Cockney rhyming slang for them, just to keep the Americans on their toes.

8. c.d.ewen

c.d.ewen Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    OK, there are now two darkslides left for sale. I'll now offer them at $30 apiece, plus shipping.

Charley

9. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    And I'll confirm that they do fit the S&S holders perfectly, and that Mr. C. D. Ewen is probably the fastest shipper of spare 11x14" darkslides in the universe, particularly if you happen to live in New York City and environs.

10. c.d.ewen

c.d.ewen Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Special treatment for my pals, Dave :wink:

Charley

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The fairly common use of the terms "double darkslides" and "darkslides" is indeed what led to my question. My apologies if I came off the wrong way.

12. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

13. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    'double darks' even :wink: