FS: 3 MINT Old Nikon pro digital bodies D1X D1

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Misc. -Anything Goes' started by CatLABS, Apr 21, 2014.

1. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    For sale is a strange lot of 3 Pro bodies:
    IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    2X D1x 185$ Each
    1X D1 150$ Each

Only one Battery between the 3 bodies. All work guarenteed not to be DOA.
    All are MINT and not a mark on them, really.
    All three have hard shell screen protectors so screens are MINT as well.
    All three have body caps and are super clean inside.

No chargers, no straps.
    Add shipping.
    Take all 3 for 450$ shipped in the US. International Extra.

2. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    sold.

3. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    wow are these collectible? and if so why?

4. SamSpade1941

SamSpade1941 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thats shocking... I would not imagine there would be a market for these. They were earth shattering in their day, in technological terms that was a 1000 years ago.

5. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For those not seeking the latest and greatest they are still Nikon Pro bodies with all the features and durability. And they still take nice photographs.

6. jerrybro

jerrybro Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not to drag this OT, but I succumbed to a KEH email and just bought a D100 for $99. My first dip into the dark side, not counting the Iphone.

7. phirehouse

phirehouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am amazed at peoples attitudes to older digital gear. If you are not a working pro, or if you do not rely on heavy cropping of your images, these cameras and others like them will make great images for decades...for most amateurs...this will be more camera then most will ever need. Is it really necessary to spend a grand on a camera for your kid, or your parents who may take it out once or twice a year?

8. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    no worth

And so a 1,000 year old camera would have no value? The original Leica is a lot older. I suppose a fine copy of one is trash bin stuff, using the same "logic."

9. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm really asking because I have seen a lot of D1 bodies for sale locally for $40 or less. and I assumed that was because there was no market for them. I would have thought anyone who wants the handling and lens options of a pro slr would be looking for more than the D1's 2.7MP (4x6 printed at 300dpi) and that most amateurs/snapshotters would just pay $100 for a point and shoot 16MP camera that does everything on auto for them.

So for those reasons I thought maybe these were sought after by collectors rather than users.

10. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Talk about depreciation.. wow!! Give thier new flagship camera, the D800 5 years and it will be worth $150.00. I'll take a Hassey or Rollei any day. OOPs.. being a little sarkie.. sorry.

ToddB

11. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Big difference between film cameras and digital.

Film cameras, particularly those without electronics, are eternal.

I'm pleased that these D1's found a home, and I hope the new owner gets lots of use and enjoyment from them, but as a general matter, digital cameras are disposable.

12. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    digital cameras are disposable.

Very true.. Again, the depreciaition on digi camera's is staggering. They are so exspensive on the front end.

13. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unless you print 40"X60" 6MP (D1X) is fine. And it's in a weather resistant body with a electronic shutter that routinely goes half a million clicks before needing attention. For a pittance you have a durable body that produces great images for the next 5-10 years easy. Us old film shooters don't bang away at cameras like the young ones so if ya pay attention a deal can be had for that "disposable" camera. If you haven't used one they handle an awful lot like my Nikon F5. And then there's that legacy glass thing Nikon does.

This is a 70% crop 4MP shot from a Nikon P&S digi. Resolution is a selling point for most people. They have a far more useful life if you fon't get caught up in the minutia of electronic wizardry.

budds'05.JPG

Sorry but it's an issue with me that they are disposable. They're not unless you need to keep up with the Joneses.

14. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The problem is, digital is even more dependent on the presence of an "industrial infrastructure" than film. Sure, the camera itself may still work after 15 or 25 years...but that's assuming you can still get batteries (D1's use complete obsolete NiMH units) and memory cards (C41 film will almost certainly be available long after CF cards are all but unobtainable) for it, and that the computers in 15 or 25 years will still run the software needed to process the images, etc. Not to mention the inherent fragility associated with the complexity of these sorts of cameras. Older Nikons are susceptible to developing a fault where they are simply not able to read the memory cards. If you don't mind doing some semi-major surgery, that can be corrected, but how long will spares be available?

There are already all manner of early digital cameras that are effectively technological orphans.

15. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    And then there's Polaroid..............

16. ronaldj23

ronaldj23 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just hope that someone keeps making film for us.

17. phirehouse

phirehouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Disposable???? JFC.