FS Graflex 6x9 Roll Film Holder for 4x5

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by Robert Ley, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Robert Ley

Robert Ley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Graflex 6x9 roll film holder in good user condition. It has the lever film advance instead of the wheel and the holder has the needle rollers that are reputed to keep the film flatter. It has worked well for me, but I recently got a medium format slider for my Wista VX and will use the slider for all medium format in the future, so this is excess to my needs. It will fit on any camera with a Graflock or International back.

I would like to get $100 plus shipping for this very handy attachment.

IMG_1393.jpg IMG_1395.jpg IMG_1396.jpg IMG_1398.jpg IMG_1399.jpg

2. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    question do you know if they make a 6x7 version of this holder?

3. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I accidentally bought a 6x7 one once, meaning to get a 6x9, so yes, they do. I got mine on eBay.

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hmm why do you prefer the 6x9? I've found that shooting such a nonstandard frame size means spending extra on custom framing, but I'm always open to learning I'm wrong :smile:

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

5. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    6x9 has the same dimensions as 35mm.

6. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

As above, 6x9 is just a big 35mm. Not sure what is available in the USA, but there is fairly cheap custom framing in the UK. I like pretty much all frame sizes, from square to panoramic, but at that point I was after 6x9.

7. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They also made a 6x6cm version. Just depends on the aspect ratio you prefer. I like 6x9 best of the three.

8. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When it comes to film (as a general rule) you can't have too much real estate.

9. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, and you can always crop but never add.

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    6 x 9 provides a moderate amount of "shift" capability if you are shooting it, but printing to an 8x10 aspect ratio.

11. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a hard time "envisioning" printing 8x10 as I tend to frame for the frame... So I end up with stuff I HAVE to print 8x12 or the image doesn't work, that's why I'm hesitant about 6x9, ok much to think about :smile:

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's wrong with 8x12 inch prints? The 2:3 aspect ratio is beautiful... less boxy. Why force yourself into a format you don't prefer unless it's just an academic exercise?

13. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The picture is what is important, not the format. If contact printing large format that may be different, however, editing with the enlarger has never prevented me from getting what I wanted. JMHO

14. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It's a price point factor honestly, if I can buy a nice pre-made frame, rather than a custom frame, that is preference at this stage in my game, it's the difference between $3 and $80 ... I buy old frames from Goodwill and repaint them and print for their side and they are all 8x10 ratio...

~Stone

15. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, that makes fiscal sense... but I'll just do without frames.

16. Robert Ley

Robert Ley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just measured the opening on this holder and it is closer to 6x8 than 6x9. The horseman holder that I had (sold yesterday) is a true 6x9. Graflex called this holder a RH8. I shot a lot of 6x7 (pentax 67) and liked the size of this negative in that I could use. a 6x7 negative carrier in most cases. Framing with a RFH is not as precise as an SLR like a Nikon's 100% viewfinder.

Stone, I take it that you no longer shoot 35 mm as that is a 2:3 image ratio like 6x9.

Thanks all for the lovely bump ;-) and this holder is still for sale!

17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yea I haven't shot 35mm in a long time because if that, basically a year ago was the last time when I bought my Mamiya RZ67... Though I do shoot 35mm panoramics in my Mamiya 7 but you sort of plan for custom frames with panoramics...

Oh and experimenting with developers, when I'm experimenting
    with a new developer or cross process I shoot 35mm but don't plan to use that for print.

No I'll let someone else have it thanks.

And *bump* :smile:

~Stone