FS: Print to help Bill Schwab Kickstarter

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by Thomas Bertilsson, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear APUG members,

I am selling this 14x18" toned silver gelatin print to help Bill Schwab's Kickstarter project.
    10% of the sale goes directly to APUG for facilitating the Classifieds Forum.
    I will take whatever is needed to ship the print safely to cover my costs (actual shipping cost, no more, no less).
    All of the rest goes to Bill's Kickstarter.

I made the picture in 2008, in the woods up near Bill's place and during that year's Photostock event. It was a wonderful day with a nice cool damp feel, with a drizzle in the air. It represents, to me, a tree of a different kind, somehow strong enough to survive and thrive in an environment of being in overwhelming minority.

I ask 200 US dollars for it to benefit the cause.

You can see the thread here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum162...p-facility-photostock-beyond-kickstarter.html
    Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1146178845/a-photographic-workshop-facility-for-photostock-an

Thanks, and I hope this isn't received as some sort of shameless self promotion. I haven't tried to actively sell anything for a few years. This is only to help Bill out.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beautiful image Thomas and great gesture.

3. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We should start a whole donation thread for the cause. I have no money, but I would gladly sell one of my exhibition prints for the project.

4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's an excellent idea. I'll offer up a print for the cause. So as not to pollute Thomas' thread (without his permission) shall we start another to do just that (and of course Thomas can add his to that thread too if he wants). Since it was your idea jordanstarr I'll let you take the reins....

5. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know if I have any prints folks would be interested in, but I do have a Pentax 645 that I replaced with a 645n. It's just collecting dust right now. I'd be willing to offer the same deal for it's sale.

I'll be watching to see if this idea takes off.

6. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep the ideas coming. Jordan, if you want to do a thread on print (or gear) donation for this great cause, then I'll be glad to put my print in it as well. Gear might be easier to sell to other photographers rather than prints, so Lyle's idea of selling gear to support Bill's project is wonderful.

7. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It may behoove efforts to give some background, here, about what this project is.

I did a quick google and it looks like the money will go toward building a facility for a photographic workshop? I may be wrong about that ... not sure and certainly not trying to portray it as something it's not.

AND ... I just read the links Thomas posted. Don't mind me, folks. I'll be in the corner with the dunce's cap.

Here are those links, again.

You can see the thread here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum162/...ckstarter.html
    Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-photostock-an

8. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That I can ever manage to find the shutter release surely would amaze people on this thread.

Thanks, Molli.

If I had $200 to spare this month, I would be all over the print being offered. Really a bargain for that wonderful image so meticulously captured and printed. I also happen to know from an earlier thread that it was captured on Tri-X.

10. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you.

The negative was indeed shot on Tri-X film, using Pyrocat-MC to process it. The print it self is on Ilford MGIV fiber matte surface, processed in replenished Ethol LPD, and subsequently split toned in Moersch MT-3 and Harman Selenium. If it matters to know those details. :smile:
    Of course it's archivally washed, signed, and properly cared for.

11. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is for a building and the purpose is to build the professional capacity of the experience (darkroom, equipment for alt processes, etc.). I support this because it is FREE to register (you obviously pick up your own costs). If he was charging for it, I'd just say it was like any other business, but because it's free, and Bill is obviously putting a ridiculous amount of his own effort, resources and labour into it....I'm in!

I'll start a classified thread right away here.

12. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ....I actually changed my mind and I thought that someone who knows Bill should start the thread. I will add to it, but I felt it was a little inappropriate to set my own opinionated tone to the thread and maybe even misrepresent the project in some way. Any takers?

13. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jordan,

I wouldn't mind starting it, but somehow we'd have to come up with a way to link our efforts to the classifieds, where we're supposed to sell stuff.

What do you think would be a good solution for that? One thread to link together all of the items offered for sale to support Bill's project?

- Thomas

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thomas...

Yeah, that would probably be best. Maybe one of the moderators would make it a sticky for the next couple weeks until the kickstarter part of the fundraising ends?

16. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ironical as it were... I had never heard of photostock before joining this forum, and even when seeing it, the name of it always made me think it was just another gathering of photography equipment sales guys selling the latest gear, I had never looked into it Because of the name, but now that I know I'm really interested, how exciting, and if its year round that would be great.

Glad to have learned something today...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Pipyr

Pipyr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What a stunning print!!

18. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Pipyr!

It looks like this print has sold. Awaiting payment.

19. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    So was this shot on Tmax too? It still doesn't SUPER pop but certainly has more highlights and I think it's a nice image.

I just realized who you were. I'm glad this sold, it's a great cause.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stone,

I think it's safe to say our tastes are different. I personally enjoy a much more muted tonal palate than you do. My goal isn't to 'wow' but to present a bit of mood, mystery, and some subtle beauty.

What 'pops' in your opinion is much too high in contrast for my tastes. It's how we see things, I guess.

21. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paymen received. Sold to the first bidder.

22. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I know that, I agree, I wasn't trying to say this image wasn't good, I like it even :wink: haha I was more curious if it was Tmax also is all. It's really tranquil.

~Stone

23. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Great job T!!!

24. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool. No, that was Tri-X. But for the most part, my prints from either film look very similar tonality wise, the difference being mainly grain and sharpness, favoring Tri-X if you like grain or TMax if you dislike it.
    Thanks!

25. Thomas Bertilsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Andy.

26. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, makes sense, especially combined with your developing techniques I'm sure you're able to match them really well.

~Stone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.