FS: Rare Nikon / Kodak Hawkeye II digital body and winder

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Misc. -Anything Goes' started by bjsmith7474, Aug 7, 2014.

1. bjsmith7474

bjsmith7474 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok…here's the deal. I'm more of a user than a collector, so I'd like to see this find a good home.

Kodak Hawkeye II body and winder. This is a Nikon F3HP that was modified by Kodak to fit a 1.3mp digital back. It's actually the predecessor to the acclaimed DCS line of cameras. As such it was manufactured in approximately 1989 in extremely low numbers ( probably about 50-100). Most of these were for the military and government agencies, and were used and abused.

This one is in overall nice shape, and appears to function fine, although I can't power it up b/c it doesn't have the DSU (digital storage unit). I've attached photos, which show condition and elements of it's hand-built construction (the winder is a single piece of aluminum, and the focusing screen was marked out with a sharpie to show the area that the sensor actually covered).

Right now I'm just looking for offers, since I really have no idea how much this rare piece of history is worth. Please feel free to contact me, or to send me information on anyone who might be interested in this rare digital body.

2. bjsmith7474

bjsmith7474 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    photo 1-5.JPG
    photo 4-3.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    photo 3-5.JPG

3. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a cool link...

5. coisasdavida

coisasdavida Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I once took apart a DCS420 (as shown in the link). It was interesting how much of the insides had little notes, rough cuts and marks. I looked like there were made one by one trying to fit everything inside the case by hand.

6. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Since it's only part of the system, I doubt it's worth much. The George Eastman House already has one, but if you'd consider making them a gift, you could take a tax deduction.

See here for some interesting information on the subject. http://eocamera.jemcgarvey.com

7. bjsmith7474

bjsmith7474 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pixel,

It's worth quite a bit. It's one of 50-100 made. The one after this, the DCS 100 has sold for over $1,000 for the body only. The Hawkeye II had a production that was 1/10th that of the DCS 100.

And yes, I know the GEH has one. I contacted them, and with their assistance and Mr. McGarvey's I authenticated it.

8. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess things are worth what people are willing to pay for it. I worked on the original DCS at Kodak. In the past, there was some interest in purchasing a DCS system for patent litigation issues that I worked on and that may have driven the $1000 price.

9. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if you think it is a real rarity you could contact an auction house that specializes in photographic junque and see what they say. With the right promotion and publicity you could possibly drive interest/price. If you just put it on eBay you'd get bupkis.

10. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its only worth what someone is willing to pay.

11. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hush! I gots loads of gear worth way more than that! :smile:

This item is rare and unique and may be worth a decent coin but I think the buyer might be rare and unique too and just as hard to find.

12. captbrs

captbrs Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a DCS 420 it is the first digital camera I owed bought it back in 2003 or 2004 only paid about $150.00 for it then. It did take surprisingly reasonable pictures.

13. bjsmith7474

bjsmith7474 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    bump…thanks!

14. bjsmith7474

bjsmith7474 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    bump..thanks.

15. bjsmith7474

bjsmith7474 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    bump. I'll also trade for Nikon lenses - anything from AIS to modern, or older lenses if they've been converted to AI.

Thanks!

16. bjsmith7474

bjsmith7474 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    bump.