FS: Ross Universal #3 Petzval 10" f/5...

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by bliorg, Dec 14, 2010.

1. bliorg

bliorg Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi, all -

Christmas is upon us, so I grudgingly offer my Ross 10" Petzval for sale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lens is a fantastic performer - covers 8x10 at portrait distances and vignettes a little further away. It's cut for Waterhouse stops, and while the lens didn't come with any, I made a set (f/6, f/8, f/10, f/16, f/32) out of some Garolite I had laying around. The brass is worn, and there's a slight amount (<1mm) of separation, but the glass is in very nice shape. No flange with this lens.

[​IMG]

This is by far my favorite lens on 8x10. If I had any chance of shooting 8x10 again in the near or distant future, I'd be holding on to this lens. As it is, money flow at this time of year is more important; my loss can be your gain.

I have $350 into this lens, and that's what I'm offering it for. $350, plus insured shipping, PayPal gift. US sales given preference - been burned by international sales way too many times this year. Sorry 'bout that.

Sample images from this lens:

While not crazy swirly (an effect which I actually don't like much), you can see there's a nice amount of conservative swirly bokeh with this lens, both at portrait distances and farther away.

[​IMG]
    melissa by Scott --, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Soldier's Graves... by Scott --, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Herbstonne... by Scott --, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Royal by Scott --, on Flickr

Scott

2. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Scott,

How did you have this mounted on the lensboard? I am asking because you mentioned that there's no flange with this lens.

Regards,
    Sanjay

3. bliorg

bliorg Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sanjay, with all my brass lenses, none of which has a flange, I cut a hole precisely the diameter of the inner thread distance on the lens, then thread it directly into the board. Others have adapted the lens to a board with duct tape, gaffer's tape, etc, or used foam core or plywood to make a quick-and-dirty board. But I've never had a problem threading lenses into wooden boards directly.

4. bliorg

bliorg Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sale pending...

5. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad someone snapped this up..... I was starting to flinch and twitch with Petzval Acquisition Syndrome!!! Now I can use my saved money to buy some lighting gear and rest easy... This was a super deal btw for a ROSS lens. :smile:

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So you had PAS, not GAS? Or did you PAS the GAS?