FT: Desk-top print processor for a MF camera

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Trade' started by anikin, Jul 6, 2010.

1. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PhotoTherm ACP-302 print processor. Very compact. Uses 2.4L solutions to quickly process RC prints up-to 30x40cm.

I'd like to trade it for a medium format camera or a 4x5 field camera with holders and a lens. Let me know, what you have. I will cover shipping of the processor in the continental US. For international shipping, PM me for a quote.

Condition of the processor:

Retired from college use. I cleaned it, tuned and tried with water. The water heats up to 35C in about 20 minutes. I ran about a dozen sheets of paper through. Everything seems to work as supposed to. The machine will not win beauty contest, but it seems to work reliably - paper runs smoothly, and solutions circulate.
    The only things I notice about it: The rubber foam seal near developer inlet may need to be replaced in the future. The rollers in blix chamber were shaved to round shape. I did not want to clean it again, so I did not use chemistry in the machine. If you concerned, I can do it before shipping and run a few real prints through.

Attached Files:

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What kind of medium format camera are you looking for? A folder or TLR, or SLR, what? Which format, 645, 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9? I'll trade you my DuaflexII TLR (6x6) for it.

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How many baths does this processor contain?

4. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like a 2-bath unit designed for RA-4 processing. Washing and drying have to be carried out externally.

Tom

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought so too, but thought there may be a hidden tank.

I'd really be interested if it was a three bath unit, as I would like to use separate bleach and fixer baths.

6. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RA-4 doesn't need separate bleach and fix baths.

Tom

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am aware of the common standard process with blix, and I do no want to use it if I do not have to. Separate is better with film, so it must be better with paper as well. All of my prints thus far have been done with separate baths in a Kreonite (community lab).

8. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know, better to ask Photo Engineer.

Tom

9. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rick,

I was hoping for something that takes modern film. My dream camera is Mamiya 7, and I would be willing to add some money in the trade. Or maybe one of Fuji rangefinders.

2F/2F,

this is a two bath processor. Actually, you can't separate bleach and fix in a roller machine because
    in these machines paper moves at constant speed and all processes must run in the same time. When you separate
    bleach and fix, the bleach time needs to be increased relative to development. It's just not going to work.
    I'm curious, why do you want to separate blix in RA-4? The process is tuned for blix, so theoretically, you should not
    get much better results by separating chemicals. Can you elaborate a bit more why you want to do this?

10. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We use a separate bleach and fixer in the Kreonite roller transport processer that I usually use when I print color. Maybe it is not "necessary," but surely it is "better" for the same reasons it is with film.

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, how about my 6x9 folder Its a kodak Tourist II that accepts 120 film. It doesn't have a coupled RF, or meter, but is quite capable, lens and shutter in pristeen condition and accurate.

12. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Presuming bleach + fix is better than blix for RA4 because it's (supposedly) better for C-41 is a logically flawed assumption. Where would you even find it? Maybe for a Kreonite user (Read: huge commercial processor) there are suppliers that could supply that but likely it's done not due to it being "better" but more likely due to it being cheaper. The bleach can probably be recycled and save some cost. Big commercial processors (e.g. someone who would own a Kreonite) are more concerned with cost and throughput than top-quality.

13. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is not a "logically flawed assumption." The content of the assumption may be incorrect, but it is certainly arrived at logically. It follows quite well that, due to the similarity of C-41 and RA bleaches and fixers, the advantages of separate baths for C-41 may also be advantages for RA.

All I ever said was that I WANT TO USE A SEPARATE PROCESS! When asked, I said why. I also said that this is how I currently process my RA prints, so YES, it is done, not only period, but in a roller transport unit. If you don't want to, then don't! I never tried to talk anyone out of the one-solution process, which I am sure works just fine, and I never tried to talk anyone out of buying this processor. I asked a question, the answer of which helped me determine whether or not his may be an item in which I am interested. When pressed, I gave further answers. That is all. Now, back to selling the processor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
  14. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, I have an offer on the processor, so unless it falls through, consider it sold.

2F/2F, what chemicals do you use for separate baths and what times/temperatures? I think I want to try it myself to compare the results.

15. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I actually JUST found out that the Kreonite uses separate baths last month, and will not be able to get the answer of what chems until the next session begins (late August). I think it may be Fuji, though. I always assumed they used a Blix process, and was surprised to learn that they do not, so I am incredibly curious myself!

PE here on A.P.U.G. has also said that C-41 bleach and fixer will work on RA paper. You just have to experiment to find the proper dilution.

I believe that there are also a few SKUs at B&H which are called Blix Part A and Blix Part B. I am thinking that they may just be separate bleach and fixer, though I will call Kodak and verify that. Even so, I don't think B&H will ship them.