Fugi 35 mm film cans wanted.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by AZLF, Feb 9, 2008.

1. AZLF

AZLF Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps a somewhat odd request.My brother runs a small home based educational toy business and one of his products is the "Mighty seltzer Rocket". He got the idea when he was working for Pima Air Museum (Tucson, Az.) in the restoration department. He was giving classes to kids at the museum on the science of flight and one of the topics was jet power. He wanted to demonstrate the concept in a way that would be fun for the kids and he came up with the seltzer rocket which uses an alka-seltzer tablet and a little water to propel a small rocket into the air. The rocket body is made from a 35 mm film can. Over time it became clear that the Fugi film cans worked best for this project. The museum began to sell the rockets in the gift department and soon other museums and educational toy companies also wanted to market his product. I can't remember all the companies that sell his rocket but Edmund Scientific is one of them. At first he would go to the local commercial labs and get the film cans but demand has increased over the years to the point that he has labs across the U.S. sending him their empty Fugi film cans. Now even more educational toy companies want his rocket and he needs even more film cans. He will pay 5 cents (U.S.) each for them and will also pay postage but asks that you not send less that 100 at a time. His typical supplier sends 1000 at a time.

We were talking a few days ago and he mentioned that it was becoming more difficult to procure sufficient cans for his product. I told him about apug and said I would post a request for him. He knows that sooner of later he will have to bite the bullet and have dies made to injection mold his own rocket bodies but the cost for that is VERY high so while he can he would like to continue to use the Fugi cans. The cans must also have the Fugi lids on them because the tight fit of the lid is one the reasons the little rocket flies so high(about 40 ft). The pressure can build to a higher degree that with Kodak cans.
    So if you run a lab or if you use a lot of Fugi 35 mm film here is a way to get back at least a little money from the expense of our craft and help a small business keep up with demand.

Those interested can contact him at:

mighty3rocket@yahoo.com

Attached is a photo of one of his rockets in action.

Attached Files:

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you don't need the film cans to be translucent, Foma's film cans seem to be of nearly identical construction.

It might be awhile before I have 100 to send (would he want them from Canada?) but I will certainly keep him in mind.

3. AZLF

AZLF Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure he would want them from wherever they might be. As to Foma versus Fugi he would probably need a few to test to make sure they work the same as the Fugi. Good idea though as I am pretty sure he is not aware of the Foma brand. I don't think color or lack thereof is an issue.

4. mark

mark Member

If I understand the way japanese manufacturing system works, and I could be wrong, but the canisters are most likely not made by Fuji, but a contractor. Has he tried to contact the manufacturer?

5. AZLF

AZLF Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I asked about this as well and from what he said Fugi does make them but is not interested in selling so few (from their point of view) to an outsider.

6. dodger

dodger Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hello there, would he like them from Ireland. If so i would have no problem starting to save them.

7. AZLF

AZLF Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I'll ask him but off the top of my head it would depend on what shipping costs were. The cans don't weigh much but a large amount of them would be bulky if nothing else which would impact the shipping price.

8. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shipping by surface mail might not cost too much. It would be worth investigating.

9. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you mean Fuji film cans?

10. AZLF

AZLF Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Duh! Yes I do. Thanks.

11. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah... I thought so. Either that or there is a cheap rip-off on the market. :smile:

12. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have him post a note on the Flicker Website connections to Tucson. I have quite a few here in Phoenix but I am too cheap to ship them down, and I know a lot of our group members have them to share. Surely, there are folks like us in Tucson.