Fuji 4x5 instant materials--where's my monochrome?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by okto, Oct 26, 2010.

1. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is Fuji mo longer importing their black and white instant materials in 4x5? I could have sworn B&H was carrying at least FP-100B45 about a year ago, but now they only carry the color film. FP-3000B45 doesn't even seem to be marketed in the US, and Megaperls/Japan Exposures wants over $5 an exposure (!) to import it.
    Is there no other way to get my hands on this stuff? I guess I can understand if the 3000 speed isn't offered here, less demand, but what about the 100 speed? I see it going for $5 an exposure on ebay, but even then, only rarely. What gives?

2. roboflick

roboflick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i agree with you, beautiful stuff, I wish I discovered it earlier. Incredible for people. I will miss it. It may have been discontinued, at least in the US.

Nik

3. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too would like to know the official word on these materials. I didn't have enough time to get into myself....

4. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Arrrrrgh. I feel like I've missed the instant film boat completely. I only got started a couple years ago, coming from the world of 35mm. Compared to rollfilm, all the materials seemed unconscionably expensive. Now that I've grown into the medium and it's worth the cost to me, things are either unavailable or even more prohibitively expensive than before.

5. roboflick

roboflick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This thread has some more info,
    It suggests that fp3000b may be coming in 4by5 which would be awesome. That might make it possible to make a shot of my 2 and a half year old :smile: There are some official links and messaged from the us fuji rep that suggest that fp100b45 has been discontinued. It's great stuff but not worth 5 dollars a shot to me

http://www.flickr.com/groups/instant-fujifilm/discuss/72157624384092593/

6. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I got some from badger two weeks ago for $25 a box.

7. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Badgergraphic.com? Their site lists FP-100B45 for $30 and it's out of stock. Is there another Badger?

8. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ooops...must have confused the price of color with that of b/w. In any event, now that it's gone, it's a moot point don't you think?

While a beautiful instant film I'm not too distraught. I've come to enjoy proofing my lighting set-ups and landscape locations with my cell phone camera. Also, think of all the money you'll save.:D

9. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't use instant materials for proofing. I use them as their own medium.

10. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Have you ever tried type 52? I've got a case dated may '09 that I would not miss if someone were willing to buy it.

11. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How much do you want for it?

12. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have nine boxes. Stored flat and refrigerated since purchasing last year. $85 per box plus $10 shipping (fed ex three day). I'd consider volume discount.

13. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh boy. That's unfortunately way out of my price range. Thank you, though.

14. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wish I could let it go for less but keep in mind that instant film is not cheap, never was. $85/box was how much this stuff cost at b and h at the time everyone was stockpiling. Shortly after it became unavailable from the stockists people were paying almost twice that on ebay. Does this really surprise you? Makes you want to go back to 35, right?

15. happyjam64

happyjam64 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I supposed i should be even more grateful. My graphics teacher just gave me a full boxes of 54, 53 and 72. After taking a few pictures with the 54, I fell in love! Too bad I'll never see this stuff again...

16. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    frotog: Not surprising, just outside my budget.
    I still shoot 35. For some things, it's the right tool. Others, it isn't.

17. snay1345

snay1345 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I saw some of this in Bic Camera today in Hiroshima in the 4x5 size. That stuff was 3200 Yen so about 45 dollars a box.