Fuji Acros 120 + 5x4 sheet film question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by sperera, May 19, 2009.

1. sperera

sperera Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hi there....apart from T-Max 100 i want to give Acros a go in both 120 and 5x4 format. I was thinking of using Perceptol....I already posted a thred on developing with a Combiplan tank so that parts ongoing as far as advise goes....so, I was thinking if anyone swears by an Acros + developer combination or not.....thing is, for example, to develop 5x4 in my Combiplan i need 1,250ml solution and its only advised to use Perceptol with this film (according to Ilford) at stock solution....as opposed to 1+1 or 1+3.....so I dunno where to turn.....

I need to buy a whole load of film in order to make the shipping worth it so I was thinking of buying a load of Acros as cheaper than T-max.....

2. Willie Jan

Willie Jan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use fuji across for about 10 years now.
    This film is very fine grained. I do not think it's needed to use a fine grain developer just for getting a smaller grain.
    On 4x5 the grain is no issue.

Roll film
    I develop the roll films in pyrocat-HD 1:1:100. A friend of my uses rodinal 1+50. There is a slight difference in grain noticable when heavy enlarged.

4x5
    I used a coupe of boxes of the acros 4x5. Nice film, but 35 euro for 20 sheets is to much for me. Currently I use ilford FP4+.
    If you have an address which is cheaper, please tell me....

The nice thing of this film is also the lack of reciprocity until 2 minutes. For long times this helps me in the studio for still live shots.

3. sperera

sperera Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes I know the 5x4 version is about 38 euros in Spain too......still, I can get really good price on the 120 roll film from Fuji in UK....as Gibraltar is VAT-free zone i get rolls at around £1.45 but then they clobber me on the postage.....

4. r-brian

r-brian Member

Acros is my primary film in 120, developed in Rodinal 1+100, 18 min @ 20C. I like the longer developing times because it gives me room for extending my agitation times. Usual agitation is 2-3 gentle inversions every minute. However, towards the end of developing, I'll stretch the agitation times to every 2 or 3 minutes to help tame the highlights in contrasty situations. And here in New Mexico we have a lot of contrasty situations.

I would love to try Acros in 4x5 but right now the cost is too high especially for the easier to find quickloads.

5. scott k

scott k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've developed 120 Acros shot at 100 in a Paterson System 4 tank a total of 3 times so far, so take this with a grain of salt. The first time was in Rodinal 1:100 for 13 minutes with 3 inversions to start and one gentle inversion every 3 minutes. The negatives were underdeveloped-I should have done 18 minutes (bad memory from reading the massive development chart earlier in the day). The last two times I used Rodinal 1:200 in a semi-stand development for one hour, first time 3 gentle inversions to start and a gentle coffee cup swirl at 30 minutes-ended up with low contrast. Last night 4 regular inversions to start and two more robust swirls at 30 minutes-contrast is higher but maybe slightly too high.

Scott

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd use whatever you are using for T-Max.

7. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've had the best results with all Fujipan films in Rodinal 1:50. Even the Neopan 1600 (when I was shooting 135) enlarges to 16x20 with no issues.

Extremely disappointed with HC-110, and then of course, in 120, grain isn't so important, and as stated above is a non-issue in 4x5.

8. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like others have said, there's no real gain in using a fine grain developer like Perceptol (good as it is) with this film, especially with 5x4. Acros is a newer technology emulsion siimilar to Delta or Tmax and I believe its touted as being the sharpest film with fine grain in this speed range you can get ?
    I've used it in 120 and developed in ID11 1:1 and was blown away by the fine grain and sharpness