Fuji Across and platinum/palladium printing

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by micek, Oct 5, 2008.

1. micek

micek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm spending Xmas in Sweden and I am looking for a film with good reciprocity characteristics (long exposures in low light) available in 8x10, but I would like to have a go at pt/pl printing as well, so I am wondering whether Fuji Across would fit the bill. The search function has not come up with much info on this...
    Also, does Across in its 8x10 version have the little hole in the corner the 4x5 sheets come with? Thanks for any input.

2. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Acros can be expanded fo use with Pt/Pd.
    You are lucky you can get it in large sizes. In the U.S. it is non-existent in sheet film.

3. micek

micek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jim. It is not available where I live either (LF is non-existent here), I was planning to import from Japan via Dirk's Megaperls.

4. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent film for platinum palldium.Alwys easy to get good result with it whatever the developper

5. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Expands easily in Rodinal diluted 1:25. I'm aware of it only being available in the UK as 4x5 sheet film. I don't like the small hole which just intrudes into the film area.

6. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    examples

For my platinum and platinum/palladium prints, I've been using Acros at E.I. 125 developped in 1+1 X-TOL at 22°C. It's 11 minutes for continous rotation (don't care about edge effects for contact prints) in an old Durst Codrum (takes 200 ml per single sheet, was originally meant for the Cibachrome process). Or you can soak them in trays for 12 minutes, agitate every 30 secs.
    They turn out well. Beautiful long scale.
    I get my 8x10 Acros from Dirk as well. Acros' big advantage is it's lack of reciprocity error down to exposures of two minutes. At those not too uncommon exposure times, it's more light sensitive than most ISO 400 emulsions. And yes, it does have the little hole at the upper right corner to hang it to dry from.
    Comments to my photos on my site are always appreciated.
    See you, Christoph

7. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can't tell you anything about Acros, but I can tell you light levels can be very low in december in Sweden. Especially in drab grey weather... :smile: If you are lucky, you'll get some sun. The upside of this is that you can work and get wonderful light all day, as the sun never rises very high in the sky.

8. micek

micek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your input.