Fuji actually advertising FILM !

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by SteveH, Jul 1, 2006.

1. SteveH

SteveH Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    All,
    I just finished watching a rather lengnthy commercial from Fuji on the release of their new 'disposable' film camera. 1000asa color film !
    Granted, they still had to put in there that 'it can be converted to digital files with ease'. But I found this of interest.
    I wonder if this film will be available ? I really wouldn't have a use for it; but it would be interesting to see.

www.quicksnap1000.com

2. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am glad to see them putting some corporate energy into a film-based product.

I'm wondering if they are not making a new emulsion at all, but either using their 800 and rating it 1000, underexposing it a fraction of a stop, or using their 1600 and overexposing a fraction of a stop.

The target audience for this camera will not be technically savvy, and probably won't know the difference between ISO 800, 1000, and 1600, except for the universal concept that bigger must be better. :smile:

You also have to consider that very few images from these cameras will ever be printed larger than 4x6" and seldom subjected to any degree of scrutiny.

I had an interesting conversation with a retail store manager during the holidays last year. He said that sales of both the disposables and the "reusables" (throw-away cameas that could be reloaded) were very strong.

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Fuji hasn't had a strong film advertising presence in the US for sometime. However, this is not the case in the UK. For example, here is a tidbit I picked up in Outdoor Photography (UK):

"Light & Land Together with Fujichrome and Calumet present an exhibition of landscape photography at Calumet. July 19th - August 31st 2006. 9:00am to 5:30pm Monday to Saturday. www.calumetphoto.co.uk"

4. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Now if they would only make 5x7 and 8x10 ACROS 100 and 4x5 in non readyloads. That would be something and I would use that film exclusively! For 120 to me it is just the best!

5. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You better check THIS then!

Lachlan

6. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Thank you for the link. I had no idea they made it in 8x10! Wow....

7. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But sadly it`s extremely expensive, if they had sold it in a 50 sheet box, it would be $265...

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I cannot speak for all media advertising - but here's a little tidbit. My wife and I have an 8-game ticket package for NY Yankee home games. On the fence, b/w the home dugout and home plate is a FujiFilm sign (in the classic green). Now it is just a small sign - I imagine that advertising real estate in such a prime location is costly. But that is the point. Everytime a batter is up and there is a shot over the pitcher's head - there is FujiFilm!

Oh, BTW, this is NOT one of those "rotating" signs that carry different advertisements at different times. Cannot say if the TV "digitally superimposes" other ads but I can say the FujiFilm has claimed and remained in some prime NY advertising real estate! :wink:

9. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've noticed also that disposable cameras are still selling well. Hmm..... wonder if there is a market for an 8x10 disposable pinhole camera!

10. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Being their home market there are alot of advertisements for Fuji Film here including one using Yoko Ono, but you never see anything for Kodak at all. I have seen an Ilford advertisement in one Japanese magazine. I see a fair amount of ads for Fuji Film, but very very few now for thier digital lineup, which they use to advertise alot.

Gary

11. kunihiko

kunihiko Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In Japan, they have had ISO1000 APS one time cameras for 2 years and the latest is ISO1600 35mm lineup.

12. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji is the big seller at Walmart. How much did they have to bend to get the Walmart account?

13. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    George: I think it's cool that the name Fujifilm is getting visibility. However, it's not really an effort to promote film by Fuji, it's simply a corporate branding effort. The legal company name is Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd. Fujifilm is likely a legal dba for the company, and is obviously a trademarked name that is a shortened name.

Let's go Blue Jays!

14. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They were advertising Provia on the back of AP last year, havn't seen any ads since, don't know if that is a good idea or not.

15. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Robert,

Although I use mostly Kodak products, I have noticed nothing but Fuji film advertsing. For example: They've had inserts in PDN for the last year showcasing film and film photographers - a magazine for mostly commercial photographers, and they had a strong film presence at Photo Plus Expo - where the vast majority of the content is digital, software and computers.

Compared to Kodak, these are two examples more than what I have seen from Kodak. Ironically, it's Kodak's 'film is dead' contraversy that has generated more advertising and publicity than anything else!

Regards, Art.

16. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ordered 20 Rolls 120 Neopan400 immediately. Advertising helps !

M.