Fuji closing the factory in Tilburg

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by arigram, Aug 25, 2006.

1. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    On my greek newsagent I found a photo of a roll of 35mm film which had the following text:

"The last roll of film that was produced in the Fuji-Factory in Tilburg is displayed, Friday 25 August 2006. The factory, the last place in Europe where film was produced, will be closed after 24 years due to the rise of digital photography."

Does anyone have any more information and how this affects us?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2006
  2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe that some film is produced at the Kodak Chalon plant in France, and at the Harrow plant in England.

PE

3. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The statement about "the last place in Europe where film was produced" can't be right. I trust PE to know more about Kodak's manufacturing than I do, but there's certainly Ilford in England. The last I heard, Ferrania in Italy was still producing color film, too. Perhaps it's "the last place in Europe where Fuji film was produced," though.

4. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Exactly, the last place in Europe where Fuji film was produced. Today was here in the Netherlands the last production run of the color Fuji films. Due to the digitalisation in the photo world and overcapacity the production unit in Tilburg, the Netherlands is closed. It's not unexpected but it's a pity after 24 years.

Fortunately, I could save the last Dutch Fujifilm from the machine. Maybe a good idea to put it on e-bay? :cool:

Best regards,

Robert

5. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    This was announced months ago. They do no longer produce photo film in Tilburg, but they still produce offset plates for the printing industry and apparently also some photo paper. There were major layoffs, but the factory is not to be closed afaik.

6. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I doubt it was the last place in europe, I think Movie film is too popular for that, I think AGFA (the other AGFA) still make movie film.

7. Willie Jan

Willie Jan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    by the way,

the factory is not closed. they still make photo paper....