fuji crytal archive paper in kodak ra4 chemicals?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by alexfoto, Feb 26, 2014.

1. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -Hello to all friends, here i have a problem!
    - I by a roll of paper from a local dealer Kodak enbura supra F 20cm x 88m, which when i develop the whites is gray and is very difficult to take the right color in this situation .. the dealer have the paper maybe for long time out of refrigerator in hot environment i think...
    -Any way i don't trust him now to give me other roll of paper, and so i can by from fuji the crystal archive paper that i now for sure it's new!! Any one try fuji paper in kodak ra4? is it ok? and i like glossy paper which is the best from fuji?
    -Thank you all.

2. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Should be no problem. Many of us have used Fuji CA with Kodak chemicals without problem and the other way round. RA-4 is RA-4.

3. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -Thank you, do you use glossy? is it worth to buy the good one?

4. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -And is there any way that i can save those roll of Kodak paper?.. i here have some chemical that take away the gray but maybe again is difficult to find in my country..

5. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I print Fuji paper in Kodak RA/RT chem routinely. But the chemistry also need to be reasonably fresh.

6. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -Drew, the paper write is optimize for laser print, is it ok to print with the classic way? I now that never have to exceed 3-4 second exposure time.

7. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FCA and Kodak RA/RT works great for my purposes. Several examples among my gallery images. I print at 94F and use drums.

8. pentaxpete

pentaxpete Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Fuji as well as the last sheets of some Kodak Endura Ultra and Supra I have in 'Champion' RA4 developer, home-made Stop Bath and 'CPAC' Blix in a 16x12" British NOVA slot processor working at 35oC and it works well. I have both Glossy and Lustre surfaces.

9. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Fuji in Kodak RA all the time. Works like a charm. I prefer Fuji Supergloss. Painfully expensive, since you have to buy a whole roll, but if you are putting so much effort into printing under the enlarger, might as well get the best you can get. In my opinion, it produces just gorgeous prints!

10. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Alex - I do not know exactly what kind of labeling is being done on Fuji Crystal Archive products in various parts of Europe. I do know that the
    correct papers are available for analog printing as well as certain photofinishing papers which might be less appropriate. Here it is pretty obvious. The correct Fuji papers will be specified on the tech sheets as appropriate for BOTH digital and analog printing. That something is
    simply called "digitally optimized" does not mean that it is not equally suitable for ordinary colorhead enlarging. There seems to be a lot of
    confusion over this. But there are other products specifically meant for cheapie Minilab applications which are different. It will take a bit of
    homework. But some of the correct Fuji CAII papers which I have personally been using with excellent results were actually manufactured in
    the Netherlands.

11. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I too, use both glossy and lustre. Glossy is the 'F' type and I guess lustre is 'E'. As far as buying the good paper, I suppose it is. Personally, I have moved over to Kodak color papers from the Fuji because I just like the Kodak pallette a little better, but there is nothing wrong with Fuji. Supra Endura that I have had on ice makes very nice prints but I get very nice results from Edge and Royal as well. (Royal is the same as Edge but has a thicker base)

One time I did get "gray" whites was using some Endura with chemistry that was over it's limit in terms of amount of paper processed. Make sure this hasn't happened to you. Seems to me that RA-4 will still process prints even though it is "officially" exhausted. Unfortunately, the whites start to look gray and the colors start to get a "plastic" look to them. Unlike dektol, you cannot use the RA-4 chemistry till it gets too slow to be useful. Once it you hit the recommended limits in terms of square inches processed the quality goes downhill very quickly, although it still appears to work.

12. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -Yes i think maybe my developer is strong, and so i dilute with more water but still get that cream color...
    -I want to ask, is the black in fuji paper so deep and reach as in Kodak? I like Kodak because i think the color is more deep and reach, what is your opinion? I now that Fuji have different pallet but i don't trust the local dealer of Kodak paper.

13. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -Well, i go today in local Kodak dealer who sale me the fog paper and they accept to change the paper!!
    -Huhh that's good now, but they don't have Endura Supra in new batch and give my the Royal.. oh i now is optimizing for digital printing but make and for optical too, as i read give more saturated colors and sharpness. The paper as i see there in prints, is thick with deep black and clear whites, i like the filing.
    -Any way i give a try and i write for the result.
    -And i have an idea about the paper that i have cut from the fog paper, i print b&w and with those cream base i think they come out perfect..

14. WayneStevenson

WayneStevenson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Crystal Archive with Kodak RA. It's a standard RA process and will give you consistent results. Filtration will be different however.

15. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -Thank you all. I print in Kodak Royal and the result is very good. The whites is clear and bright, the color deep and contrast is ok, as endura supra. Only i don't like those logos in the buck.. ''digital paper''..