Fuji FP-1 ... very cool

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by david b, Mar 16, 2008.

1. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Very neat indeed. It looks like it's got a rangefinder and shoots Fuji instant pack film. With a 105mm lens, I assume that's the 3x4" film, rather than the 4x5".

3. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    My friend picked one up yesterday for $100. It is indeed a nice camera, with a nice hand-grip on the left side. It uses Fuji FP series instant film.

Unfortunately a local camera shop today told us that all but one of the Fuji instant emulsions will be discontinued by June 2010 :sad:

4. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is that a rumor, or a fact from a reliable source? From what I understand Fuji is quite dedicated to the instant pack film market, including researching modified films geared towards artists. A film that will manipulate similar to the SX70 films has been mentioned in at least one interview I heard.

5. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I was told by the clerk behind the counter in the film section, who had a a sheet of paper (which I saw) listing all the films that were to be no longer sold. There was to be only one emulsion left, but I forget which one. From around June next year they would no longer be on sale. I checked Fujifilm Japan's website however, and didn't see any announcements.

Whether the film is going to be discontinued or simply no longer sold in stores (online order only) I'm not sure.

6. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Fujifilm Japan's website does NOT say anything about a discontinuation. I'm guessing that the paper I saw was either 1.) advanced notice that the film was being discontinued, 2.) a notice that the film wouldn't be sold in stores anymore or 3.) the film is no longer going to be sold because it will no longer be made.

Considering its popularity I'm rather skeptical and surprised.

7. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Could easily be discontinuation by the importer/distributor not Fuji.

8. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I just got off the phone with Fujifilm: FP series B&W 100B and 400B will indeed be discontinued. B&W 3000 and the color film(s?) will continue.

9. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wtf?

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  11. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    It does have a rangefinder, in a very clear & bright viewfinder. It takes the "regular" size FP series film (not 4x5.) It's quite big, but not very heavy due to its mostly plastic construction (it does feel sturdy, however.)

The shutter speeds go from B to 1/500, and f-stops from 5.6 to 64 (!) Apparently there was an accessory thermometer that would attach to it, but I think it would be hard to find now (the camera originally wasn't made in large numbers.)

12. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh great, now I want one.