Fuji Instax

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by Ektagraphic, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am a huge Polaroid fan. I shoot the integral and pack films. My stock of 600 film is running low but I still can get it. I was wondering what you thought about the Fuji Instax system. How does it compare to the Polaroid 600. Thanks

2. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I got an Intstax Mini to play around with. The print size is small (a little bigger than a business card) so it is hard to evaluate image quality. Color saturation is good, the images are nice and rich. It seems like the image comes up a little more slowly than the 600 films.

This camera is great fun at parties. People crowd around to get their pictures taken.

3. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Glad to hear you like it! I was looking into the regular instax as I thought the mini would be way to small.

4. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Another problem with the mini is that the cameras and film are not distributed in the US, so you have to buy them off Ebay. I think the larger instax is available from a few camera stores here.

The mini is indeed small, but fun.

5. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes..You can get the larger one right from Freestyle

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've seen it in New York at the new Lomography shop. I would assume you could find it on their website at www.lomography.com. The color looked pretty good.

7. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The colour is good, but I am disappointed with the camera (I have an instax 100) - that said my reference is a polaroid spectra pro and there isn't an equivalent camera made by fuji so it isn't really a fair comparison...

8. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My same feeling as David. The film is fine - I hate the camera.

9. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The camera is crap. It's too bad they don't make it in 600 size. Fear not though, there is a plan to make more polaroid like packfilm again as you've probably heard.

10. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Yes, but at what cost? :wink:

11. amuderick

amuderick Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The film has better color rendering (IMHO), is sharper, scans better, lasts longer on the shelf (after expiration). The downside is that the only camera is pretty crappy compared with an SX-70.

12. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    While I haven't used either the Instax or the Instax Mini formats, I did happen to see an Instax 200 camera in a local store a few months ago. The camera itself was much larger than I expected - not what I had in mind as a suitable portable instant camera, personally, so just something to be aware of. I'm guessing the Instax Mini cameras would be much more compact.

(I believe Zoey Deschanel's character in the recent movie "Yes Man" was using an Instax 200, if you want to see one in action and don't mind Jim Carrey.)

13. sangetsu

sangetsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Luckily it still seems to be available in Japan. I've seen Polaroid films of all types and sizes at the big stores like Yodobashi camera, and 600 is still available at smaller camera shops.

I have no idea if it will be discontinued in Japan anytime in the near future, but I hope not.

14. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The plants that made Polaroid films worldwide have been closed and dismantled for some time now. All polaroid film you find is remaining stock. It is all discontinued.

15. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  16. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Impossible Project is by no means a done deal. They've got some technical challenges ahead of them. See a recent discussion by Photo Engineer and others in the photo chemistry forum.

17. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format